Before our pool is even installed:)--some information needed

We're having our pool installed within the next two weeks and I have a few questions. I grew up with a pool and assisted with every aspect of pool maintenance, so have a general knowledge about pool care but it's been a while :?

We just purchased a 21', 54" Wilbar Quest it's:
~10,408 gallons
Cartridge filter (also includes a Zodiac Nature 2 system, which I'll get to later)
AG
2 hp pump (I realize this is well outside of what we really need but it's what's included, so we're just going w/it)

1. The Zodiac system: After reading here and from my own past experiences, I think we'll likely completely ditch this system due the metal and the expense. I'll likely see if they can just not install it (maybe I'll Craigslist it or something) but if they do, it's possible for us to just not use it, right? Like pull the cartridges and just not use it? Or should we just remove it altogether?

2. The Zodiac system: Is there any benefit at all to using the chlorine system included with this (not the mineral filter though) or should we just ditch it entirely? I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about this system and the cartridges, pucks, whatever is used to chlorinate the water.

3. We're obviously having to "open" our pool way late in the season but this shouldn't make any difference as to the steps we should take, correct? We should still proceed like we are opening the pool for the season? Or are there some "short cuts" we can take?

4. Closing the Pool: We live in the Champaign, IL area (East Central IL) and I've never owned a pool while living here. Does anyone know when I can reasonably expect the water temps to reach the point that we can close our pool?

5. Closing the Pool: We'll need to get a winter cover and other items for closing the pool. I'm considering a mesh cover and a leaf net at this point but could be persuaded to go with a solid cover. The area where we live is pretty windy although we're not "on the open plain" so to speak. There are houses and whatnot around us for some wind blockage. We do have a couple of trees nearby that will likely drop some leaves in the direction of the pool. I'm not sure if our pool will freeze entirely (as I said, I've never owned one since living in IL). What do you think our best bet is?

TIA for any help you can provide! If you have any other pearls of wisdom, please voice them!!

Welcome to TFP.
See comments below
xtencornfield said:
We're having our pool installed within the next two weeks and I have a few questions. I grew up with a pool and assisted with every aspect of pool maintenance, so have a general knowledge about pool care but it's been a while :?

We just purchased a 21', 54" Wilbar Quest it's:
~10,408 gallons
Cartridge filter (also includes a Zodiac Nature 2 system, which I'll get to later)
AG
2 hp pump (I realize this is well outside of what we really need but it's what's included, so we're just going w/it)
My Sis just bought a pool and got a supposed 2hp pump but looking at the motor and housing it's the same as the 1½hp I have, and that's the same as a 1hp full rated pump. So just because it says 2hp it might not be

1. The Zodiac system: After reading here and from my own past experiences, I think we'll likely completely ditch this system due the metal and the expense. I'll likely see if they can just not install it (maybe I'll Craigslist it or something) but if they do, it's possible for us to just not use it, right? Like pull the cartridges and just not use it? Or should we just remove it altogether?
The best thing to do is have not even unbox it and sell it. Second best is to sell it as is. third is if they must install it is to just use the bac-paks just on vacations.

2. The Zodiac system: Is there any benefit at all to using the chlorine system included with this (not the mineral filter though) or should we just ditch it entirely? I'll be honest, I know next to nothing about this system and the cartridges, pucks, whatever is used to chlorinate the water.
The bac=paks are Trichlor. See one above.

3. We're obviously having to "open" our pool way late in the season but this shouldn't make any difference as to the steps we should take, correct? We should still proceed like we are opening the pool for the season? Or are there some "short cuts" we can take?
No difference at all.

4. Closing the Pool: We live in the Champaign, IL area (East Central IL) and I've never owned a pool while living here. Does anyone know when I can reasonably expect the water temps to reach the point that we can close our pool?
Can't help you here. Don't know what closing is! :)

5. Closing the Pool: We'll need to get a winter cover and other items for closing the pool. I'm considering a mesh cover and a leaf net at this point but could be persuaded to go with a solid cover. The area where we live is pretty windy although we're not "on the open plain" so to speak. There are houses and whatnot around us for some wind blockage. We do have a couple of trees nearby that will likely drop some leaves in the direction of the pool. I'm not sure if our pool will freeze entirely (as I said, I've never owned one since living in IL). What do you think our best bet is?
I'd recommend a solid cover but I don't close so let someone else make that recommendation.

TIA for any help you can provide! If you have any other pearls of wisdom, please voice them!!

Get yourself a good test kit. The sooner the better. Take control from the beginning and you'll be way better off for it.

Welcome to TFP!

I'd strongly suggest a TF100 from tftestkits.net or a taylor k2006 as far as test kits go. I would go with a solid cover as well for closing. You'll want to close after your water temp stays below 60, but before risk of water freezing.

To get things started, add about 30 ppm of CYA/Stabilizer and keep your FC level around 3-4ppm, adjust PH to 7.5. You can fine tune TA when opening next season :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Welcome to TFP!

I'd strongly suggest a TF100 from tftestkits.net or a taylor k2006 as far as test kits go. I would go with a solid cover as well for closing. You'll want to close after your water temp stays below 60, but before risk of water freezing.

To get things started, add about 30 ppm of CYA/Stabilizer and keep your FC level around 3-4ppm, adjust PH to 7.5. You can fine tune TA when opening next season :goodjob:
Ordered my TF100 this morning and thanks for the advice on the rest!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.