Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation Pool - Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation Pool - Algae

We're vacationing with kids and grandkids. House has a pool. Obvious algae present. What should I do? Don't have test kit with me, so, no numbers, but, clearly there is no chlorine. Staying out of the pool has been voted down..... should I buy a few gallons of bleach and add to the pool? Leave it alone? Suggestions, please.
    17,000 gal fiberglass. 1.5hp pump, Pentair 60 sf DE filter and Pentair IC-20 SWG, TF Test Kit, BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation Pool - Algae

I'd hit Walmart and find a cheap 2-way test kit first. At least then youl have TC and pH. It would be safer than blindly adding chlorine IMHO.
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    1 HP Hayward Power Flow Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Beaten by mere seconds!

Blindly dumping chlorine is like painting in the dark. If there's astronomical CYA, you may never clear it before vacation's over! pH could be whacked, too.

Call the rental office/property manager and complain. They probably have a pool service - let them get on the phone and get an emergency call made.

If it's a holiday rental, and not just some friends letting you use their second home, they're probably considered a public pool, same as a motel. Threaten to summons the health department. Nobody wants some officious government busybody poking around.

If you insist on doing it yourself, drop a few bucks on a test kit or take a sample to the pool store. If you buy a kit similar to what you have at home, you just got some refills in advance.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. The "pool service" (I think that's what you do when you lose your job at McDonalds) kid was here brushing.... "I don't think there's any chlorine in the pool...." Duh.....

Called the owner
    17,000 gal fiberglass. 1.5hp pump, Pentair 60 sf DE filter and Pentair IC-20 SWG, TF Test Kit, BBB