Algae and Solar Cover

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
Hey All - I am fighting a little bit of algae this year.. nothing major.. but I am seeing algae when I brush the bottom and my water is discolored. I am curious about using my solar cover.. I want to keep the bleach from being used up, but the solar cover also heats the pool which I assume makes it harder to fight the algae... I think my biggest issue is my CYA is only 5.

Thoughts?

jjdurrant said:
Hey All - I am fighting a little bit of algae this year.. nothing major.. but I am seeing algae when I brush the bottom and my water is discolored. I am curious about using my solar cover.. I want to keep the bleach from being used up, but the solar cover also heats the pool which I assume makes it harder to fight the algae... I think my biggest issue is my CYA is only 5.

Thoughts?

Add some CYA and get the chlorine level up fast, before "discolored" becomes "thick and gooey." I'd be afraid that the cover would harbor algae so that when you take it off, kill everything, then recover the pool, the algae reestablishes itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.