Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae and Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae and Solar Cover

Hey All - I am fighting a little bit of algae this year.. nothing major.. but I am seeing algae when I brush the bottom and my water is discolored. I am curious about using my solar cover.. I want to keep the bleach from being used up, but the solar cover also heats the pool which I assume makes it harder to fight the algae... I think my biggest issue is my CYA is only 5.

Thoughts?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae and Solar Cover

Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant
    Hey All - I am fighting a little bit of algae this year.. nothing major.. but I am seeing algae when I brush the bottom and my water is discolored. I am curious about using my solar cover.. I want to keep the bleach from being used up, but the solar cover also heats the pool which I assume makes it harder to fight the algae... I think my biggest issue is my CYA is only 5.

Thoughts?
    Add some CYA and get the chlorine level up fast, before "discolored" becomes "thick and gooey." I'd be afraid that the cover would harbor algae so that when you take it off, kill everything, then recover the pool, the algae reestablishes itself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Algae and Solar Cover

Thanks. I removed the cover and plan to add cya and shock.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal