Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: reducing TA

1. Back To Top    #1

reducing TA

I've added PH down to lower my TA....how long do I have to wait to aerate to bring my PH back up?

Thanks,
    Laurie
    AG 18' round 6500 US gallons, 1 Hp with 100 lb. sand (zeolite) filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    You shouldn't really need to wait. You can aerate continuously, but the effect of it will be more dramatic around 7.0-7.2.
    So drop the pH to 7.0, and keep the aeration going. Repeat dropping the pH/TA whenever the pH reaches 7.2 or higher until the TA is where you want it.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3
    TA in my pool has shot through the roof, 255, not sure why? Anyhow am using a UK product clalled "Lo N Slo" to reduce TA but this also reduces Ph and my concern is should I be trying to keep Ph up with chemicals at same time as trying to get TA down, seems counter intuitive to me! Any advice would be most welcome
    BM2535

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoores@oaktreecap.com
    TA in my pool has shot through the roof, 255, not sure why? Anyhow am using a UK product clalled "Lo N Slo" to reduce TA but this also reduces Ph and my concern is should I be trying to keep Ph up with chemicals at same time as trying to get TA down, seems counter intuitive to me! Any advice would be most welcome
    Aeration is the only way to get where you want to be. Lower the pH to the 7.0 area. This will reduce both pH and TA. Aerate to raise the pH. If the TA isn't where you need it, repeat the process.

Adding pH Up will raise the pH, and your TA will return to where it was when you started.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks for that advice, can you tell me what aeration is? SOrry about the silly question but I haven't heard the term before. Regards

Bill
    BM2535

6. Back To Top    #6
    To aerate, you want to create bubbles in the water. This can be done by running spa jets, a waterfall or fountain, pointing a return up towards the surface, injecting air with an air compressor, having kids play in the pool, etc.

Aeration will raise the PH without changing the TA. While the acid (Lo-n-Slo) will reduce both PH and TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    Thanks very much.
    BM2535