Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge cleaning tools?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge cleaning tools?

Curious if any of the so-called cartridge cleaning gadgets are worth the money. I had bought the "Water Wand" a number of years ago and it was so awful (poorly constructed, leaked from multiple points) and I returned it. I've seen other gadgets such as the "Filter Flosser", "Pool Filter Cleaning Wand" and various models of the "Blaster" but I wonder if any of them would actually work well and make cleaning easier rather than provide an additional headache to the process.
    13,000 gallon fiberglass pool
    Auto Pilot - Pool Pilot Digital SWG
    S.R. Smith - Turbo Twister slide
    Aquabot - Turbo T Jet cleaner
    Jandy - CS250 cartridge filter
    RayPak - CR206 gas heater
    Pentair - WhisperFlo 1.5 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge cleaning tools?

From the posts I've seen here, the plain ole pencil nozzle you buy at Wally-World for a couple of bucks is the best thing to use. However take that with a grain of salt, it's coming from a sand man!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a plain nozzle, I believe that it is call a "jet" nozzle. Also works the type of adjustable nozzle that turns to vary from a spray to a jet.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just stick to a standard hose nozzle. It just sucks that there doesn't appear to be a decent alternative considering how tedious the task can be at times.

5. Back To Top    #5

See the thread about how to clean a cartridge filter for a photo of the brass nozzle that works so well. Surprisingly better than your standard hose nozzles.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

No, gadgets aren't worth the money. I've found that whether the cartridge is cleaned parallel or perpendicular to the ground, the same time and effort is involved. As a personal preference, I like having the cartridge parallel to the ground in order to utilize gravity more to help the dirt get to the ground.

I use a medium-high water pressure with a regular hose nozzle - the closer it is held to the filter the better and you see it quickly cleaning the filter from grey to white. Some areas of the filter just will never get back to white again no matter what you do.

I've started using a filter sock in my skimmer basket to reduce the amount of schmutz that gets stuck in the filter - the time-consuming part is getting all those particles out.

I had bought a gadget that spins the filter clean. Picture this in actual usage: you have to drag it out of storage. It's rather heavy because you've had to fill the base with water or sand to keep it stable when in use. Bring it either near to the hose, or have to bring the hose to it . . depending on how far away that is, could be a hassle (is for me!). Bring the cartridges over. Find that the cartridges don't fit properly on the spindles provided . . if the spindle is too small, the cartridge spins unevenly rendering the spin action almost useless. And now, the assembly that holds the ball bearings has broken . . I have to figure out how and if I can get replacement parts. Bah!

Here's my solution: my own gen-u-wine filter cleaner. . . I spray with one hand, margarita in the other lololol:
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

7. Back To Top    #7

Perfect pic Chessie!
    That's how I will do it when I'm gonna wash my carts for the first time! Thanks!
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

8. Back To Top    #8

That's an awesome setup you have there Chessie6... hopefully you've got it patented otherwise someone else is going to make millions!