Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Threaded vs. slip connections for plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Threaded vs. slip connections for plumbing

Hey All:

Any pros/cons, thoughts comparing threaded connections vs. slip connections for equipment plumbing?

Threaded adds another place for leaks, but (with a union) allows for replacement without cutting. But, is the replacement aspect worth the risk of an extra leak place?

Be well.

AJGIII

30K gallon, inground w/integral spa, blue/gray plaster; Pentair Intelliflo pump, D.E. filter, Ultraflow UV generator, Hayward tab chlorinator, Polaris 360, Raypak propane

"As long as you are in the seat...Make a Difference"
    ---Captain James T. Kirk, circa 2293

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Threaded vs. slip connections for plumbing

I had three expensive valves ($40 each) and I used threaded connections near them so they could be replaced easily. I used slip everywhere else, because elbows and pipe are cheap. Some people will tell you to use lots of teflon tape, but the manufacturers caution against using too much because it can cause the female fittings to crack. I used a combination of several turns of heavy duty teflon tape and some pipe sealant. the most important thing to remember with teflon tape is that you can't back up after you tighten or you will have leaks for sure.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

3. Back To Top    #3

I prefer slip connection with unions. If you decide to use threaded connection, use oately/great ptfe white pipe dope. Tape tend to do poorly on 1.5" and larger PVC fittings.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

The only fitting on my pool plumbing that leaks is a threaded fitting. I was told that the cutting of the threads makes the PVC thinner and thus more subseptable to breaking. I actually witnessed this on my pool as the threaded return broke due to the pressure of the backfill. It broke at the threads. I am 100% for slip fittings unless threaded fittings make life easier when you have a problem. When my return fitting broke I was glad it was threaded because of the limited work area I had to fix it. Had it been a slip fitting the fix would not have been as easy. To sum it up I use slip fittings unless threaded fittings could make repairs easier.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

I use PTFE STRING on the threads. We have lots of brands of it here in Europe (Loctite for example as well as Tangit) and it's much better than PTFE tape as you can back it off and don't have to be so careful applying. I supplement it by using a type of non setting sealent that used to be used for hemp thread sealing. I only use threaded fittings going into expensive parts though, like filter valves, pumps, swg's etc. The rest slip all the way.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey!

Some great thoughts
    (smileys not working)

I like the flexibility: do it when it would make repairs easier. That's my situation....previous owners left no room for repairs.

I also experienced cracking at a threaded fitting.

Thanks again!!!

AJGIII
    30K gallon, inground w/integral spa, blue/gray plaster; Pentair Intelliflo pump, D.E. filter, Ultraflow UV generator, Hayward tab chlorinator, Polaris 360, Raypak propane

"As long as you are in the seat...Make a Difference"
    ---Captain James T. Kirk, circa 2293