Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ground Cover/Grass near pool deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground Cover/Grass near pool deck?

My pool is currently under construction but will someday need something planted beyond the concrete pool deck. The pool is on a hill so they dug out one side and built up the other, and it's the down hill side of the pool that I'll need to take care of.

I'd like something that is fairly tough (will be able to handle being walked on a little and also able to handle pool water (SWG) splashing on it). Erosion controll is a plus since it's on a hill. And I'd also like something low (or no) maintenance.

Good old grass seems like a quick and easy option but I don't want to have to worry about mowing/weed wacking.....too much time required, too much mess created.

So, what are some of the best groundcovers to border the pool deck?

Thanks!

Here's a link to some photos of the pool:
    va-blue-ridge-pool-pics-t24552.html
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ground Cover/Grass near pool deck?

If you can post a pic of the area, maybe that will help us brainstorm for ya I was thinking river rock, but that wouldn't be to comfortable to walk on.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Youre' too fast. I planned to post a link in my original posting......It's there now.
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone, anyone?

Maintenance free ground cover for area next to pool deck?

5. Back To Top    #5

I looked at the photos, but it's hard for me to see exactly which area you're looking to cover. Some clarification would help
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Check out this link http://www.amwua.org/plants_for-pools.html . Its for Arizona but you may be able to find one for you area.
    Have you considered Faux grass? It has came along way and some of the products are really amazing.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

7. Back To Top    #7

I was thinking the same about faux grass...here is a pic of my friend's backyard renovation...he had astro turf put down for his putting green and surrounding rough

24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you considered Liriope as a possibility?

Here's a link that might be helpful: http://landscaping.about.com/od/orna...iope_grass.htm

You only have to mow it once per year in the Spring, it spreads via rhizomes, is excellent for erosion control and tough to kill. As with any plant, I would recommend reading up on it before deciding if it's right for you or not.
    32.6K Gallon 16x41x24 L-Shape Vinyl Inground by Fort Wayne Pools
    DE Filter, 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 Btu Propane Heater, Pentair IC40 SWG
    One Wife - Three Kids - Two Dogs

9. Back To Top    #9

How about Ice Plant? The stuff spreads out like a carpet, seems to thrive no matter how much abuse it gets. Caltrans plants it a lot along freeways, it's thick enough that it will slow down a car. I don't know how it does with salt, but I'm guessing okay, 'cause I've seen it planted near the beach, in sand.

It is considered invasive, though. Webpage
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I thought ice plant too, but I didn't think it would make it in the VA winters. Looked and it's rated for zones 5-9, so it might just work! VA is mainly zones 6 and 7.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the ideas folks! Sorry for the delay, but here's a few more pics of the area. I'm looking for a ground cover for the small flat area just outside of the concrete froms. The ground is semi-flat up there and then drops off down a hill.