Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is it time to replace my SC-60 salt cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

is it time to replace my SC-60 salt cell?

Like others, I have had pretty good operation of my unit for the last several years. I have been using this cell for over 3 years now, maintaining a FC level of approx 5 throughout the usage time. However, I have noticed lower FC levels recently, wondering if the cell is near end of life. It still can produce chlorine- bubbles obviously generated when I hit 24 hr boost.

I've done some preliminary troubleshooting:

Cell is clean, evidence of wear on the outer plates
    Salt level =3800, calibrated
    water Temp = 80 degrees

water chemistry unchanged, parameters all ok except lower FC levels than normal FC now around 1.0 instead of the normal 5.
    after hitting boost, then test pool pilot, i get the following info:
    Amp hours =9120
    Voltage = 28

time to replace cell?
    Amps =6.5
    17,500g, IG pool/spa, pebblesheen, Autopilot TC SWG, Pentair 4x160 variable speed pump. Sta-rite cartridge filter, Sta-rite Gas heater, Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: is it time to replace my SC-60 salt cell?

Your amp-hours are approaching 10,000 so it's probably getting close to time for a replacement.
    Have you done an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) just to make sure something isn't in there?

Also, it'd be nice to see a full set of test results.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: is it time to replace my SC-60 salt cell?

That is an amp-hour reading, not an hour reading. The cell is rated for about 10,000 hours at 5 to 8 amps, so cell lifetime is typically somewhere around 50,000 to 80,000 amp-hours. Remember that actual cell lifetime is somewhat variable from unit to unit.

You need both amps and volts, read after the cell has been on for a couple of minutes, to judge if the cell might be getting old. Towards the end of the cell lifetime, the chlorine production will fall for a while before the cell fails.

Reduced FC levels are almost always caused by some chemical imbalance, not a cell problem. You should post a full set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School