Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Feedback/ recommendations on solar cover and reel.

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Ashford, CT

Feedback/ recommendations on solar cover and reel.

I have a new 20x40 free form gunite pool. My heating off my central boiler outdoor wood furnace works great. Had the pool in CT up to 95 on Fri night for my son's 21'st b-day party.

Looking for recommendations on a solar cover and reel. i.e. Thickness, brand, suestppliers, colors etc/

What works best if I plan on keeping covered when not using and at night?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro

2. Back To Top    #2

Indialantic, FL

Re: Feedback/ recommendations on solar cover and reel.

I have a Rocky's Roller and a 12mil clear cover for a 16X36 and think it works reasonably well for all the family to use (no small children though). Acquired mine through (also known as LeisureLiving I believe). When FedEx was doing their best to screw up delivery the company put their weight to the issue with FedEx and it showed up PDQ. YMMV.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

Fremont, CA

I have an older solar reel, which I've had for years, and don't know the name.

I just purchased a solar cover (12 mil) also, from SolarCovers/LeisureLiving and had good experience with them when there was a problem. The cover is a darker blue than the previous covers I had in the past, which I like. Some say covers thicker than 12 mil are harder to roll up, but I have always just purchased 12 mil covers, which are lucky to last 3 years.

Make sure to keep your cover covered with a white cover when it is rolled up, so it does not overheat in the sun.
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Olney, MD

I have a 16 mil, supposedly clear, but it is really silver. Anyway, it is very heavy, falling apart (bubbles disintegrating), and only 3 years old on an 8 year warranty. I would steer clear and buy a thinner cover since most people report a similar life expectancy anyway. I had even used a winter cover for the cover (which made a nice nest for yellow jackets in early spring before opening!

This is the cover I have.

For the reel, I don't think the one I have is available anymore. One upgrade I made was to replace the 1" casters with 8" so I can go over the diving board and roll on rocky terrain more easily. In retrospect, I think a reel that fits under the diving board would have made more sense and saved the cost of the upgrading.

Hope that helps!
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit