What would you like to see here at TFP?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
What would you like to see here at TFP?

The recent Tale Tales contest didn't spark much excitement. Should we even be having contests? Do you want better prizes? Or something simpler to enter? Or should we spend the effort put into contests into something else?

I would love to hear anything from specific contest proposals, to ideas for improving the site, to proposals for some alternative to contests. What do you want to see us do?

I don't know if this is possible, but I would like to see other TFP forum users near me.
Often I have seen on the forum people commenting about how close they are to each other geographically.
More then once, I have seen postings commenting how someone could stop to help another nearby user with a problem.
Not only would it be easier to locate another local user, but those people could then easily discuss vendors, issues, etc specific to their area.

Hey Jason,

Lord knows I log on here 3 or 4 times a day trying to learn something/help folks and I never saw a mention of the Tale Tales contest. Where was it listed or mentioned? Maybe send emails out to all active members? Heck, maybe I got an email and didn't notice! Summer is a busy time.

The Tall Tales contest announcement was, and still is, at the very top of every single topic list across the entire site. It also appeared in the new posts since last time list four or five times (assuming you were checking daily).

If it is any help, Jason, I never go to the Forums; I just check the "New posts by date" tab. That may be true for woodyp also, which may be why he (and maybe others) didn't see it.

I thought the Tall Tales contest was an interesting concept and I do a lot of creative writing, however the prize was something I knew I would not use so I did not feel a sense of urgency to enter. It was a very nice prize, just not my thing. As for the lack of entries, some people may have been daunted by the prospect of writing a story and been reluctant to enter. If you want some ideas, photo submissions and photo captioning contests may generate more participation. Some other ideas are top 10 lists (10 things to do with an empty bleach bottle) and for the artistically inclined design a "Rube Goldberg" chlorine dispensing system.

As far as potential prizes, pool floats, gift cards, maybe a hat. Some people will work harder to earn a digital badge to display with their avatar than they will for a material prize.

Maybe one of the members would like to volunteer to run a contest that could be decided by popular vote and provide an inexpensive or a digital prize?

Anyway, there's my 2 cents!

Revamp Pool School

Maybe it's just be, but I don't like the look of Pool School. There is a ton of good information, but it is not organized well and the look of the individual articles is not consistent.

A first time user can visit this screen and not really know what to read first. The 'Read Before You Post' is a good start, but is reading the 'pool schedule' the best for the next step? To me the most important read is the ABCs of pool chemistry and its a few links down from the top. I think when a user goes to the pool school section, they should be presented with a section at the very top where they can follow a flow and at the end they will know the basics. Perhaps something simple like this:

Pool School 101
I. Overview
II. Water Chemistry
III Pool Care Schedule
IV. What am I doing wrong?
V.

Just a simple 5 articles and the user will be educated, these first can't be overly complicated or drag the reader into details of how to clean a cart, but just enough so they know what they need to be focused on and what to read next. The text within the articles can reference other material, like clearing your green pool or caring for a salt water pool, etc...

Other information seems like it's in the wrong section, like 'opening and closing a pool' and 'Beginners guide to seasonal pools' are somewhat of a how-to. Chlorine/CYA chart, Recommended levels seem like reference materials. Perhaps they can be referenced in the pool school articles, but belong in a different section.

As for layout, I think a two column table approach would make better use of the page, and/or maybe headings with collapsible sub-items. If anything, the articles would look better in a centered table and all articles left justified an maybe bulleted.

In addition, I think a dedicated search box just for pool school would be nice. I can type 'cleaning sand filter' and a list of articles can be presented to me.

Other ideas for the site could be a user driven Wiki, to replace or supplement the current pool school.

And perhaps a user blog.

Don't get me wrong, I like this site, just trying to offer some suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.