Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cyanuric acid and borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Cyanuric acid and borax

I may know the answer to this question, but I gotta ask anyway. Can I use Borax as a conditioner and to adjust the Ph or do I need to buy cyanuric acid as well. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cyanuric acid and borax

Cyanuric acid's prime purpose is as a stabilizer and does not have much effect on pH. Muratic acid is the usual product used in conjunction with borax. Borax is typically used as a buffer, a mild algaecide, and to some improves the feel & "sparkle" of the water (due probably to lower water surface tension).
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Borax is typically used as a buffer, a mild algaecide, and to some improves the feel & "sparkle" of the water (due probably to lower water surface tension).
    I would consider the use of borax to accomplish the above functions as secondary purposes. It's primary function as we use it in our pools is to raise pH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    ...It's primary function as we use it in our pools is to raise pH.
    I think I was addressing the conditioner question and missed the main point. Thanks for bringing it back on track.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the words of advice. Still not clear on one point though. Can I use borax to raise the Ph level,(which I need to do), and to help stabilize the chlorine?

6. Back To Top    #6

Borax pretty much ONLY raises pH (and TA a little) but does nothing to stabilize the chlorine. CYA is what you use for that.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

Borates at 30-50ppm help stabilize (or buffer) pH. Maybe this is what you were confused by. This is the secondary effetc that was mentioned.

Check out: pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator