Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any ideas for terrible patio?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any ideas for terrible patio?

We have concrete around the pool which is in good shape however it's very plain.
    We also have concrete patio along the front of the house which had (by previous owners) been topped with patio tile and is a horrible mess, cracking and falling off.
    It looks like it will be easy to take off as it is falling off anyway. So I'm just wondering what the best idea would be to make it all look nice.

I have considered concrete stenciling. The kind which uses stencils and then a thin layer of concrete like substance is applied then sealed.

Would concrete stamping even be an option or is it just for newly poured concrete? And if it is what about the edges of the pool being flush with the concrete.

Also thought about patio brick around the front patio , but I don't know much about how they weather.

Price is an issue but something has to be done. I hate the wayeverything looks as it is.

Any advice is appreciated!
    25,000 gal inground 18x36 pool, vinyl liner, heat pump, sand filter, BBB method(thanks to you guys), in VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any ideas for terrible patio?

A thin layer of concrete poured on top of the current patio may not hold up very well and be prone to cracking. You could try some of the epoxy paints for garage floors and see if there is something you like there. You might investigate putting pavers down over the concrete as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3

You might investigate putting pavers down over the concrete as well.
    I've seen it done and honestly it looks horrible and wont hold up. If your going to do pavers, just rip out the concrete. In my travels, once a walk or patio starts to go, nothing will fix it correctly or look right except a new one.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can't exactly rip up patio around the pool

And it's in great condition, just plain.

The other is in good condition once the patio tile is removed. Just plain ugly concrete.
    25,000 gal inground 18x36 pool, vinyl liner, heat pump, sand filter, BBB method(thanks to you guys), in VA

5. Back To Top    #5

I misunderstood. I thought the patio was in bad shape. Your just saying it's ugly?
    Why dont you just take it out and do something that looks better? You can ave new, colored stamped concrete done for 6-7 bucks a sq ft, give or take.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

They make 1" pavers which are meant for putting down on concrete. Our Flamingo room was a concrete patio which extended some outside it. We incorporated the 1 inch to match the regular pavers to keep the same pattern. Look at our pool build in the sig bar.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies. I probably wasn't real clear. The one patio is a mess because the tile is cracking and falling off. The actualt concreteis in good shape everywhere.

I would love to do the stamped concrete but not sure you can take concret up from around the pool, and I have a very large area of concrete all around the pool so that would be quite costly.
    And as for pavers I love that idea but it seem controversial on this site as to whether they do good on concrete and in geographical areas that freeze. It definitely freezes here.

Is there a way to do the pavers around the pool when the concrete is already flush with the pool? What about staining?

Your pool area is beautiful by the way! I love the color of thise pavers. That would actually be the exactcolors I would need to go with.

Thanks guys!

8. Back To Top    #8

Good questions about freezing. You will have to look into it. I do not see where you are from, you might want to edit your profile and put out a question asking for info for pavers in a freezing location.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

BTW, you can seal pavers to prevent staining. We did not seal our pavers and so far no real staining has occurred

10. Back To Top    #10

I am from VA. I will edit my sig.

I have looked into the staining od concrete. Of course the pictues are beautiful, but I would love to hear from someone who has done it to see if it's really that great.

The acid staining looks beautiful. Maybe I'll start a thread to see if anyone has pics or advice on that.

11. Back To Top    #11

I vote for acid stain! My cousin does it for a living...it changes the whole look of the area!
    5,000 Gallon 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, Waterway 1hp sand filter, Intex SWG, AquaCritter, TF100
    Climate/Location: SW Iowa

12. Back To Top    #12

Something you might consider is chipping out 6" on either side of any expansion joints (or adding some new ones) and then installing stone or pavers into that expansion joint where you have chipped it out.

We were planning on staining the concrete, but we'll likely hold off as we're very happy with the look of the natural concrete with the stone coping, walls and expansion joints. Our PB made this suggestion and it came off really nice. Breaks up the large expanses of concrete.

Here is a photo:

=====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

13. Back To Top    #13

Visit this link www.elitecrete.com I think you will find your answer there.
    22K Gal double roman IG, vinyl, 300lb Crystal-Flo sand filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump, WF on pool side with 1.5 hp Challenger pump.