Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid in a Fiberglass Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid in a Fiberglass Pool

I just read the following (cut & paste):
    Muriatic acid is heavier than water and may etch the plaster in a shallow pool. To eliminate this possibility, pre-dilute the acid first by adding the acid into a large plastic bucket of water, and then pour the acid solution into the deep end of the pool, away from skimmer and fixtures. Muriatic acid is NOT recommended for vinyl-liner, painted or fiberglass pools.
    Is this true? I just installed a fiberglass pool and have been using (for the past month) Muriatic Acid. If I can't use that, what should I use?
    Nearly done self installing:
    Viking "St Thomas" in-ground 13,700 gallon fiberglass pool (14' x 32' x 7') / Pentair VS-3050 pump / Pentair Clean & Clear 420 sq ft Cartridge filter / Pentair EasyTouch 8 automated system / Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG / Pentair Kreepy Krauly SandShark suction side cleaner / Pentair Intellibrite LED pool light / Jandy deck jets (x5)

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Muriatic Acid in a Fiberglass Pool

You may use MA in a vinyl or fiberglass pool. The key to avoiding problems when adding the acid is by adding it very, very slowly, in front of a return jet while the pump is running. Then, after adding it, allow the pump to run for an hour or so more after adding it. You want to ensure that the acid has had ample opportunity to mix thoroughly in the water so that it doesn't collect on the pool floor and cause problems.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Muriatic Acid in a Fiberglass Pool

Also, if you think some of the acid hasn't hit the return flow and mixed, for extra safety you can lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool in the area where you poured.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"