HELP!!!! with balancing pool levels, did I say Please!!!!!

May 8, 2009
Hi,
I have a 20,000 gallon inground plaster pool, with chlorine system. I have had some trouble with green algae. Now, I cannot get my levels stabilized. Two days ago, I drained 25% of the pool. Today my levels are:

Total Chlorine 0
Free Chlorine 0
Combined 0
pH 7.0
Total Alkalinity 90
Calcium hardness 400
Cyanuric acid 125, maybe higher, it's off my scale.

In past few days, i have put over 20 lbs of shock, in the little bags. I use 3" stabilized pucks, and have to replace them every week. I think that's were the stabilizer is coming from. This all started when I first noticed a little green algae, and my Chlorine level was zero. I can't seem to get it higher.

Please help me to balance my pool, I am desperate.

Your high CYA (stabilizer) is your biggest enemy in your fight against the algae. Your method of chlorination is the reason for your high CYA. You need a good test kit if you don't already have one.

You need to begin by reading Pool School articles on how to fight algae and recommended levels. You're going to need to drain about half your water and retest. You're right that your CYA may indeed be much higher than you can read.

I thought that the only way to decrease CYA and Calcium is to drain the pool. I will drain about 1/2 today. I have been using bleach for my Cl, but ended up ruining a lot of clothes. The wind blew just as I was pouring, and i was too lazy to bend down.

That's correct. Lower CH and CYA by draining water.

Yes, use liquid chlorine now. Stay away from bags of powdered chlorine and from tablets until we know more about what is going on.

Your problem with maintaining a decent chlorine level can easily be seen by looking at the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school. Those pucks are to blame for where you are now. Good luck.

drdriller said:
I thought that the only way to decrease CYA and Calcium is to drain the pool.{/quote]

OR locate a RO service. Depending on location, that could be an option.

I will drain about 1/2 today. I have been using bleach for my Cl, but ended up ruining a lot of clothes. The wind blew just as I was pouring, and i was too lazy to bend down.

:shock: Please don't be too lazy to bend down when you add muriatic acid.

I have ruined clothes also, a tiny splash of bleach not noticed can ruin anything. Even cal-hypo can ruin something if you kneel down in a bit of spilled powder. I try now to add chems in the AM while I am in PJs or after I swim.

I replaced 1/2 of my pool water yesterday. My CYA level dropped to 90. I have added 12 gallons of bleach, and my chlorine and combine chlorine are still 0. I have used two different test kits. One is the kit recommended by this site.

Any clue as to where the chlorine is?

I am assuming you are running your pump...if so chances are it burned off fighting the algae. How does your water look? Any better? Keep adding chlorine, it will take a lot in a 20K gal pool.

If you added chlorine without the pump running, it could have just pooled and not mixed in w/ your water.

drdriller said:
I have been using bleach for my Cl, but ended up ruining a lot of clothes. The wind blew just as I was pouring, and i was too lazy to bend down.

I used to walk around the pool and poor in the chlorine as I walked, but lately I've started sitting on the diving board and slowly pouring the bleach in the deep end over the bottom drain. Less splash, no bending involved, and the bottom drain sucks it up faster to distribute it more quickly throughout the pool. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.