Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First cicada killers, now flies!

1. Back To Top    #1

First cicada killers, now flies!

I've been having major problems with my backyard oasis. The pool area is landscaped, and backs to towering trees: oaks, maples, and poplars. This year, we have had an infestation of cicada killer wasps. They are bothersome, but harmless, and mostly active in the morning, before we are out by the pool. They leave mounds of dirt from the tunnels they excavate in the lawn and landscaping. Their numbers seem to be declining now, but now we have an infestation of flies which is even more of a nuisance than the cicada killers. My web research suggests that the flies are a natural parasite of the wasps-- or, at least they like to feed on the dead cicadas the wasps drag into their burrows. One dead cicada can host 50 maggots-- so you can imagine the population explosion of flies we have had. The flies really put a damper on a party we hosted last night. The best we could do was use fans to try to keep the flies off the food.

Has anybody else had this problem? What did you do? I am thinking that I must aggressively treat the wasp burrows with insecticide powder next year. Any other suggestions?
    40,000 gallons, IG, pebble, SWCG, cartridge, in-floor cleaning system, Maryland

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First cicada killers, now flies!

Not much you can do this year but spray the lawn and hope for the best.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Dust the nest entrances with Sevin and that will take care of things.

4. Back To Top    #4

fill plastic bags with water and suspend them at the edges of the dining area. Something about a bag full of water in the air disturbs flies and keeps them away. Lots of restaurants with outdoor patios do this. No idea why it works.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    fill plastic bags with water and suspend them at the edges of the dining area. Something about a bag full of water in the air disturbs flies and keeps them away. Lots of restaurants with outdoor patios do this. No idea why it works.
    I have always wondered why places did that. Now I know.

6. Back To Top    #6

It is supposed to have an effect on their compound eyes. Messes the little buggers up!

7. Back To Top    #7

Our favorite waterfront restaurant here in The Woodlands does not have these bags of water on the patio yet, though I keep telling them to try it.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Is this the ziploc bags filled with water & taped to the walls? I did see that in one restaurant and have wondered what that was all about.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, exactly. Often seen hanging at the perimeter of dining patios, spaced between each support or column.