Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temperature Compensation Algorithm?

1. Back To Top    #1

Temperature Compensation Algorithm?

Now that my Pool Pilot Nano is installed and running, and I am noticing that the displayed percentage is changing day to day. I assumed that the temperature compensation algorithm would run in the background, unseen by me, but I guess I was wrong.

Is the change in percentage that I am seeing actually the temperature compensation algorithm in action?

If so, it is working opposite of what I expected. When the water temp goes up the SWCG percentage goes up, and vice versa. This implies that it is harder to generate chlorine at higher temperature, and easier at lower temperatures. Is this correct?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Temperature Compensation Algorithm?

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    If so, it is working opposite of what I expected. When the water temp goes up the SWCG percentage goes up, and vice versa. This implies that it is harder to generate chlorine at higher temperature, and easier at lower temperatures. Is this correct?
    Or, the algorithm is predicting correctly that there will be a higher FC demand as the temperature rises, so it compensates?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Temperature Compensation Algorithm?

The percentage setting is proportional to how much chlorine it is generating. Higher temperatures require more chlorine, so it turns up the percentage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School