Leaving for a few days... what to do?

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
I am going to be away from home for about 5 days at the end of this week. I have been keeping chlorine at shock level (since Baq. conversion) until today so I really don't know what a "normal" level of daily chlorine addition is even required for my pool. I plan to keep the solar cover on while I am gone so I think chlorine consumption should stay low.

I was thinking of getting some tablets to use while I am away. What kind should I get and how much can I expect it to raise my CYA over 5 days? My CYA is 30 now. I wouldn't want it go much higher, but 35-40 would probably be okay. And do I also need to get some kind of floater for it? I'm hoping to get what I need at WalMart tomorrow since that is the best day I have to shop before I go.

Five days would probably work if you simply brought it a little above shock level and left the cover on. Five days is about the limit of what I would expect to work that way and every pool is different so my confidence level is a little lower than usual.

If you are going to leave the pump on 24/7 you could leave triclor pucks in the skimmer, otherwise you would need a floater to use trichlor. I assume you don't have a puck feeder, which is ideal for this situation. You can use the Effects of chemicals section of my Pool Calculator, near the bottom, to see how much CYA trichlor would add in your pool. Puck sizes vary, they make 6, 7, and 8 oz pucks.

Hi Sue,

I use trichlor 3" pucks. In a five day period the CYA addition will be negligible, probably not even measurable. Yes, you'd have to get a floater. With it sitting under the solar cover it'll release the trichlor slowly and likely not drift to the edge.

I've been using trichlor for the past 8 weeks and my CYA level has not risen at all, not so it could be measured, anyway. We've had considerable rain and we always have a lot of splash out and have to refill. In a closed system over a fair period of time I'd worry about the increased CYA and acidity but in a pool that used daily and has to have water drained due to rain it just hasn't been an issue.

Vacation or business? Have fun, either way!

Anna

Cool, I did not realize the pool calculator had that!

Thanks for the tips... I'll see what they have at my WalMart, but this gives me some direction at least. I do plan to leave the pump on 24/7 until I get back. Eventually I want to get to a reduced run time but no sense experimenting until I get back. How long can I expect an 8 oz. trichlor to last if I put it in the skimmer?

This is just a mini-vacation down to South FL to see my new 1-month old nephew!

I just returned from my trip. I had put one trichlor tablet in the skimmer before I left Thursday and had my neighbor drop another one in on Saturday. FC was 13.5 when I returned. CC was zero for the first time since we switched out our filter after the Baqua conversion, so that is good. It had been staying at 0.5-1 ever since then and I was wondering if it would ever be zero.

I used the community pool at my brother's town-homes, which was very nice and well-maintained, but your own pool is always the best, even if it's not fancy!

We must have had a lot of rain... the water is to the top of the skimmer and temp is down to 82, but all my other numbers look good.

The Intex SWG I ordered was sitting on the porch when I arrived back home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.