Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Grid 'repair'

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter Grid 'repair'

Hello. I have a Hayward RegenX Grid Element DE Filter RG700. After vacuuming alot of dead algae or 'pumping' the agitator & re-powering up, the filter passes DE & or algae out the return. I discovered I have a few small holes in the grid, most likely from a careless winter clean-up. Can I use west-systems or JB weld to seal these holes? I was thinking of a complete disassemble, clean up the grid, dry it out, then epoxy it on the outside. From what I 'picture' the water flow passes from outside to inside, so there wouldn't be any pressure to dislodge the epoxy once its re-assembled.. I know this is 'cheaping out', the replacement elements are $160 & up, but I need a cover this year, and the budget is exhausted.. Thanks.
    42,000 gallon, 24'x44' rectangle, inground plaster.
    Pool age 30+ years.
    Hayward C-4025 cartridge.
    Polaris 280.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: DE Filter Grid 'repair'

My brother-in-law was actually successful in sewing the tears up with needle and thread then coating that area with superglue. It lasted 8-9 months until he replaced all his screens at the beginning of the next summer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!