Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New wall whale brush

1. Back To Top    #1

New wall whale brush

well i finally found a decent local run pool supply and picked up one of these brushes today and all i can say is . why didnt i buy one of these sooner ?? it cut the work time down to 1/3 and scrubs like theres no tomorrow. the only complaint i had about it was the 2 prong clip that holds it into the pole kept popping loose out of the pole so a quick robbing of said clip from my old brush and its perfect
    9000 gallon fiberglass
    pentair brand 1.5hp pump and cc 150 cartridge filter
    one derbi the duck chlorine tab hold

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new whale tail brush

I adore that tool! Using it, skimmer socks and the PoolSkim has kept my pool so clean that I only have to vacuum maybe once a month.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: new whale tail brush

It's great!

I unscrewed mine and attached it to a steel/nylon brush instead.

The one problem is that it moves almost too much water; when I try to brush debris towards the main drain it frequently churns things up and overshoots.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: new wall whale brush

I love mine too. I've had it forever and really couldn't do a lot of brushing without it with my bad back.

Great idea to transfer fin to the ss brush. Does it still work the same as on the original brush?

I mostly use the steel brush so I purchased the Brush Booster that attaches to any brush. Intheswim has them but you can find better prices on the Internet.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: new wall whale brush

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    I love mine too. I've had it forever and really couldn't do a lot of brushing without it with my bad back.

Great idea to transfer fine to the ss brush. Does it still work the same as on the original brush?

I mostly use the steel brush so I purchased the Brush Booster that attaches to any brush. Intheswim has them but you can find better prices on the Internet.

gg=alice
    Yes, just the same. The original nylon brush and the steel brush have virtually identical contours, although, of course, the screw holes don't line up perfectly. I had to drill some new holes, but the plastic is soft.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: New wall whale brush

It does move a lot of water. That's one of its attractions for me though I can see where it could be tricky if you're trying to get your debris in a pile

I use it to push water from about 6' away against our wedding cake steps. You can see huge swirls of water come out from behind them moments later. With this method we have never had algae behind or under the steps.

I also use it to mix in bleach if I add it at a time when the pump isn't on. Just a few pushes with this brush and the chlorine is mixed in. Truly an excellent invention!
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

7. Back To Top    #7

That looks like an awesome product. I hate brushing for a couple of reasons. 1) It's work. 2) An AG pool is not a good design for us "vertically challenged" people.

My pool has a 45 degree angle between the wall and floor. Any ideas whether the XL design would be better than the regular brush for this transition? The rounded XL brush looks like it wold transition quite nicely.

(I hope this doesn't qualify as a thread jack.)
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    1 HP Hayward Power Flow Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Plz excuse the ignorance here, but is this something that all pools should have done? In reading the literature, it seems this is more applicable to finished other than those with vinyl liners...am I missing something here? I do see the benefit for algae, but this is something I've never done other than once in a great while on a single spot, and just using our manual vacuum head to do so.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

9. Back To Top    #9

Brushing is important because algae forms a "biofilm". This allows the outer algae that are exposed to chlorine (and eventually die) to protect the inner algae. You need to brush to expose the inner layers to the chlorine.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Cool, thanks for the clarification!
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I removed that cheep plastic clip and put a screw with a wing nut to attach to my pole. All works great.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

are there any special considerations for a brush that's ok for use on vinyl, other than I would expect no wire brushes?
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for this thread, I just ordered one. Yet another reason I am SO glad to have found this site!
    Chris A.

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you guys order the standard size Wall Whale or the extra large size? my pool size is 18x36 and I wasn't sure which was the best one to buy.

I'm assuming it is safe to use on a vinyl liner ?
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

15. Back To Top    #15

Anyone knows where I can order the xl version of this brush?
    Thanks!
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

16. Back To Top    #16

Found what I was looking for!
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

17. Back To Top    #17

Sorry about that, I just saw your reply. I got mine from Hydropool.com

Sku: WW20XLN
    The Wall Whale XL
    Price: 25.94
    Chris A.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstead
    Did you guys order the standard size Wall Whale or the extra large size? my pool size is 18x36 and I wasn't sure which was the best one to buy.

I'm assuming it is safe to use on a vinyl liner ?
    The all-nylon brush is okay on vinyl.

Mine is just a standard brush, and I'll tell you, it's a pretty good workout. I wouldn't get the big one unless you want to build up your physique!