pool pillows

I used one last season and will likely use one again...my opinion is somewhat mixed...it helped keep the water and leaves etc out of the middle of the pool cover, hence keeping pressure of my walls when snow accumated, but there are many that get by without them. I would suggest using one in colder climates.

Instead of the pillows --I use 3 truck inner tube tires in like a pyramid configuration tied together and then stick a 15" inner tube on top of that placed in the center of my pool and then tied off to my uprights. I installed a few D-ring tie downs to my uprights to hold this in place. When the water level is lowered below the skimmer--makes for almost a perfect "Teepee" type effect in the center and allows the rain to run off very easily. I don't get snow really here to worry about the weight on the cover--just excessive rain during the winter.

I don't use them for any of the above ground pools I close. Have yet to really see a benefit of them. They don't help with ice expansion (like a gizzmo in a skimmer) since they are on the surface of the water (unlike a gizzmo which is tethered to the skimmer). The only thing I think it does is push accumulated rain water to the edges of the pool which I guess some people could like? Although that's where I would put the pump to drain excess water off. Also making a tepee with with an airpillow and a tight cover voids the warranty of the cover.

For an above ground pool in a windy area when conditions are just "right" (or wrong depending on how you look at it) a pillow can help keep the wind from blowing all the water on the cover over to one side of the pool, which, in particularly extreme cases, can knock the pool wall over. Of course, you should never allow that much water to accumulate on the cover in the first place.

Warranty on most of the above ground covers are a joke any how--they may give you one free year total replacement--but then it is based on the percentage per year of MSRP.. you can buy brand new ones from ebay for about 45 to 75 bucks depending on size and the weave.. This way I don't have to worry about the rain run off or the leaves next spring at opening. My way works for me and makes it simple to open and close the pool down. I will sacrifice the 15 to 20 bucks a winter to spare me the bleach lugging job of opening a swamp.

I use one. It has an additional advantage of keeping the leaves and other debris closer to the edges which makes cleaning much easier.

I also bought a small plastic battery powered sump pump that I use to drain water off the cover. I start the pump until it starts flowing and then shut it off...it just siphons the rest so you don't have to stand there watching it.

X-PertPool said:
I don't use them for any of the above ground pools I close. Have yet to really see a benefit of them. They don't help with ice expansion (like a gizzmo in a skimmer) since they are on the surface of the water (unlike a gizzmo which is tethered to the skimmer). The only thing I think it does is push accumulated rain water to the edges of the pool which I guess some people could like? Although that's where I would put the pump to drain excess water off. Also making a tepee with with an airpillow and a tight cover voids the warranty of the cover.

Bingo...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.