Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rusted bobby pin print

1. Back To Top    #1

rusted bobby pin print

I had some people over and somebody left a bobby pin on the floor. I didn't notice it until the next weekend where it left a rusted bobby print behind. Last night, I placed four vitamin C pills on it which covers the rust. 24 hours later, the tablets are still there, shouldn't they haved dissolved by now? Should I remove them?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: rusted bobby pin print

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr
    I had some people over and somebody left a bobby pin on the floor. I didn't notice it until the next weekend where it left a rusted bobby print behind. Last night, I placed four vitamin C pills on it which covers the rust. 24 hours later, the tablets are still there, shouldn't they haved dissolved by now? Should I remove them?
    Some of the Vit C tablets are buffered or Estered that lowers acid. I had the same problem and the tablets left a yellow goo/stain on the plaster that I had to scrub off. Some will have a very slick coating. The best to use are "regular" Vit C tablets.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

3. Back To Top    #3

How can I tell which ones are the "regular" vitamin C tablets?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How can I tell which ones are the "regular" vitamin C tablets?
    The Estered ones are labeled that, Ester C, and mention the coating on the label. Our Vet recommended them for the dogs, DH looked them up on Internet, and now we take them. I imagine the label will give you a hint. DH buys our Vitamins so I don't spend much time looking at supplement labels. I'll bet some people here will give some "brand" names for what they have used that works.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

You want ascorbic acid. It will either be labeled that as in, Ascorbic Acid 500mg, or you will see ascorbic acid in the ingredients. The ones you really want are the pure AA. They are usually the cheapest.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

When I use them they just break down into a little pile of powder.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

maybe that's what I see...a pile of powder....can't really tell. Should I let it sit or should I wash it away to see if I still have rust?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would wash them away. That's too long for direct contact of anything on a vinyl liner, IMO.

If the rust persists, put more vitamin C (the cheapest you can find won't have the coating) in an old sock and crush them up with a hammer. Place the sock with the powder in it over the stain and put a small brick on the sock to hold it down. The sock will contain the powder and should prevent direct contact with the vinyl yet allow the dissolved ascorbic acid to work on the stain. 24 hours is still all I'd leave it on.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School