Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I wait to replace a seal assembly?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I wait to replace a seal assembly?

Hello,

I have a Hayward Northstar 1hp pump. Its on its 4th season, and I have a small leak near the rear of the pump. I am thinking I need to replace the seal assembly. We only have about 6 weeks left in the season. Can I wait to replace then, or do I risk further damage?
    Thanks for any advice!!
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I wait to replace a seal assembly?

That's a tough call. The worse case scenario is that it blows out and ruins the motor. Then you have more than the seal to replace. I'd change it sooner rather than later.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd do it as soon as I realized there is a problem

The longer you wait, the more damage is done to the motor!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies!!!
    That's what I was kinda thinking, just wanted to confirm. I checked out the youtube links provided in another thread. I was just wondering about disconnecting the hoses. On the northstar is the union kit a made easy disconnect? It looks like a quick coupler type thing for easy disconnecting.
    Thanks
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know your exact set up, but I replaced a seal in my pool pump a few weeks ago and it was an easy task. It had been leaking for a while and what put me off was I thought I would have to start cutting piping to get the pump out. No, no no. It was all held together by a metal band and the pump and all associtaed parts dismantled easily. It was way easier to replace this seal than the one in the small polaris pump. I would definitely want to replace it if you have the time. Make sure you have the service manual. Probably available by pdf download if you do not have it.
    Good luck
    Plaster In Ground, with Waterfall Spa. Raypak Heater, Nautilus DE Filter DNS48. Built about 2000.