Testing CYA with TF-100

May 19, 2010
Evansville, IN
OK, First time using the TF-100 kit. I fill the CYA mixing bottle under the label, I add R-0013 to above the label. Shake, wait 30 sec, shake, I then hold C A tube at waist and slowly fill. So when the black dot disappears, that is my reading? Does the water become cloudy in the tube? I filled the tube and still could see the black dot. What am I doing wrong? Or is it that my CYA level is very low and need to add some?

Tap water doesn't have any CYA, so that is normal. You should add 30-50ppm right away to protect FC from sunlight. Without any CYA your FC will be gone in a matter of hours.

You should always get a reading for pH, CH, and TA. FC can be 0.

You should post a full set of numbers to get feedback.

How are you chlorinating?

ETA: To clarify, FC in fill water may measure 0 or low...you should never let it go to 0 in your pool. Ever.

I actually have a pool store 2 miles from where I live. So I ran down there and purchased the stabilizer. It says 1LB per 5k gallons. I added it to a sock and tied a knot and put it in the skimmer for now. How long before it starts raising the CYA? and dissolving?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.