Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine usage

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine usage

I live in Houston where it is hot and sunny. I'm using about 2 qts of 10% bleach per day. The water is beautiful. This usage is pretty consistent because yesterday I was out of town for a day and calculated the amount to last 2 days. This morning when I got home the FC was 3 (below my min of 4) the CC was 0.5. pH was 7.8. I'm quite sure I don't have any organics other than my 11 yr old and 13 yr old. Does this seem like alot of chlorine usage for my climate?
    17,000 gal in ground with spa, wet edge surface, Paramount PCC 2000 in-floor cleaner,Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, 3 hp Pentair Intelliflo VS SVRS pump , waterfall with 1 1/2 hp booster, Del ozone Eclipse1 ozonator, puck feeder. Borates added 8/2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine usage

i live in kentucky and i consistently use 2 quarts of 12.5% chlorine per day.
    24,000 gallon ig fiberglass pool
    1 hp hayward pump
    hayward sand filter (250 lb)
    madisonville, ky

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, CA

Re: chlorine usage

2 qt (64 oz) of 10% in 17,000 gallons is 2.9ppm per day. This is normal.

What is your CYA? You should bump it to 50 if you aren't already. If you are already at 50, you could even go to 60, but remember that if you slip and get algae it will be harder to fight.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator