Styrofoam base for pool.

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Hello everyone,

I know this has probably been asked before but I can't seem to find a definite answer. I'm going to redo the base for my 16' x 48" round Intex Ultra frame pool. I will be using styrofoam and sand as the base.
Questions:
1. Can the styrofoam be subjected to the weather?
2. Does it need to be covered?
3. Is the below order OK?

Pool Base setup:
1. Tamped level ground.
2. Thin layer of sand for final leveling
3. 1.5" or 2" styrofoam
4. Ground cloth if needed.
5. Pool

Thanks, Mark

Mark,
The styrofoam will weather/oxidize. the pink stuff gets lighter pink and pills up when you touch it.
A good quality tarp covering the foam is the way to go. I used the HD silver one, on my 3rd year w/o a prob. but might need to replace it next year.
Also, I see that you are looking to upgrade to the 20' any reason you are not going to the 24' ?
Mike

mcoonan said:
Mark,
The styrofoam will weather/oxidize. the pink stuff gets lighter pink and pills up when you touch it.
A good quality tarp covering the foam is the way to go. I used the HD silver one, on my 3rd year w/o a prob. but might need to replace it next year.
Also, I see that you are looking to upgrade to the 20' any reason you are not going to the 24' ?
Mike

mcoonan,

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured the styrofoam would weather if not covered. I decided to go with the 20' instead of the 24' because I can't seem to find either one for sale anywhere so I have to peice the pool together from the Intex store. The part numbers for the 20' match the part numbers for the 16' so I can use my current legs and "T" brackets and just have to order a few instead of all the parts for the 24'. I would love to have the 24'.

Thanks again, Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.