Pump "Throbbing"

nobbyv

Jun 29, 2010
I've got a brand new Hayward XStream150 cartridge filter/pump for my 10k gallon AGP. This combo is fairly oversized for a pool this size, but its nice in that I only run it ten hours a day and get plenty of filtering. Plus, I got a good deal on it.

The only issue is that it is LOUD. A simple steady loudness would be OK, but it actually "throbs" in a way that is a little annoying when we're trying to relax. Its not a huge deal; I just shut it down while we use it, but it would be nice if I could eliminate this.

I have watched the pressure and the flow of water from the return, which are both constant. So I don't think this is an issue of an actual partial blockage or something. Its just some weird resonance that gets going once the thing gets running full steam ahead. Though I've only had it for six weeks or so, it has always been this loud, so its not a question of damage/wear.

The pump/filter is located on the deck side of the pool, but moving it at this point is pretty much out of the question.

The only thing I was thinking is that my skimmer feed and return hoses are too long. The pump/filter unit is only about three feet from the pool and I was supplied 8' or so hoses, so the excess is just kind of draped on a platform I built for the pump/filter. Anyone think changing these might help?

Anyone else think I'm imagining the whole thing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.