My pump died, and after several attempts at making it work, I gave up and had a new one ordered and installed. Now my pool is being filtered again after about ten days without.
The water is crystal clear, other than stuff floating around in it. No signs of algae or anything like that. I did NOT keep up with the bleach while the pool was out of order.
I can test the water later (I'm at work now), but I'm pretty confident chlorine will be about zero and pH will be about seven.
I guess the questions that come to mind are: do I need to shock? And, whether or not I do, when is it safe to swim again (i.e. when will enough filtering have taken place)