Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Pool

I see this seems to be a common subject, but I haven't found anything to help me in any of these posts. I noticed a bit of green forming around the middle of last week...brushed it up and added bleach. By Friday the water had turned murky green, so brushed again and brought FC up to around 17.5 and lowered PH to 7.3. Sunday vaccumed what I could see to waste, refilled around 2 or 3 inches of water that had been lost and started over with bleach. It is now Tuesday and still no change. Right now my levels are as follows:
    FC - 24ppm
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 65
    CYA - 70
    I'm at a loss here. I just brushed it again and although I can't see the bottom of the pool for all the murk, I can definitely see clouds of green billowing up when I run the brush over the middle section. How can this stuff still be growing? Do I have bionic algae? I have never had this much trouble in the 4 years I've had the pool... always been able to clear it in a couple of days.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

13500 gal. 24x52 AG
    1.5 HP Hayward Matrix
    200 lb Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Green Pool

You aren't shocking high enough. If your CYA is 70, your shock level is at least 28.
    What are you testing with?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, CA

Re: Green Pool

Also, when you are shocking you want to frequently retest and add enough chlorine to get back to shock level. As often as once per hour until chlorine demand becomes less.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator