Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC to Intex Couplings/Adapters

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC to Intex Couplings/Adapters

When I vacuum my pool, I slip the flexible cuff of a 1-1/4" vacuum hose into this Intex adapter:

That is the adapter that came with the deluxe skimmer. The problem is that I have a hard time disconnecting the skimmer hose without collapsing it. I would like to design something that will slide on and off easier. The skimmer hose is 1-1/2" and the vacuum hose is 1-1/4". This Intex adapter

will accommodate both hoses, but I don't know how to connect it to the first adapter. I think the second adapter needs to connect to 2" MPT. A standard PVC 1-1/4" slip coupling fits really well over the first adapter, but looking online I have not been able to find a 2" MPT x 1-1/4" slip coupling. Is that something Ace, Lowes or Home Depot would likely have? If not, what is the best way to bridge the gap? Thanks!
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: PVC to Intex Couplings/Adapters

if you can't find 2" MPT x 1-1/4" slip coupling you can step it down with connectors in between.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: PVC to Intex Couplings/Adapters

Finally had a chance to stop by Home Depot. I was able to get a 2" mpt x 2" slip coupling. From there I used a 2" x 1.25" slip bushing. The 1.25" end of the slip bushing fit perfectly on the blue adapter. The other adapter was a little trickier since the 2" threaded connection would bind up before forming a seal. Adding 3 o-rings to the white shaft of the hose adapter before putting on the gray threaded connector was enough to get a good seal. Once everything is connected it looks sort of odd, but it works really well.

I know that Intex doesn't do "standard", but you think they would at least use standard threads.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.