Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie Pump questions

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie Pump questions

I have a DE filter, has a shutoff before the pump, and eyeball replacement to shut off back flow from the return, an air relief valve, and a drain. That is all of the option I have. My question is this--how the heck do I clean the pump strainer without water coming out everywhere? Also--it is a two speed pump. On high the pressure reads anout 10, and on low it reads about 1 or 2. Is such low pressure normal?

Thank you !
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: newbie Pump questions

That pressure sounds normal for a 2 speed. Its pretty difficult to stop all flow of water to clean out the pump basket. closing your valves and plugging holes is pretty much all you can do but you still have a lot of water in the lines and the filter itself. Clean it quick... LOL
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Assuming you are talking about an AG pool, low pressure is normal.

Do you still get water if you shut the valve off and plug the return?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all--it is an abg--and yes, with both plugged water comes out--as I would assume it would, as it the lowest point. Just checking to make sure it was normal. Thanks!
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.