Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expand and purge winterizing plugs

1. Back To Top    #1

Expand and purge winterizing plugs

Does anyone know where to get the "expand and purge" type of winterizing plug (the kind you can pressurize with an air compressor) now that everything4pools.com is out of business? A quick google search didn't turn up anything.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expand and purge winterizing plugs

Winterizing plugs with air valves tend to leak. The only place I use them is on certain Paramount systems that require special semi trapazoidial shaped plugs.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

It sounds like you are talking about the Gizzmo Ultra Swimming Pool Skimmer Guard. A Google search turns up many places to get them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies.

PoolGuy - I know they leak, but it's the only way I've found to get my main drain to "blow bubbles" when I'm winterizing.

Jason - It's definitely not a gizmo. It's a black rubber winterizing plug with a tire valve stem on it so you can attach an air compressor to it. Waste recommended them a couple of years ago when I first started posting here.

If I can't find one, it's no big deal...I'll just have to find a new solution for blowing out my main drain.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

5. Back To Top    #5

A shop vac in blower mode and valving it off will trap air below the frost line. If the valve leaks, I put a plug in the pump to stop the leak. If air leaks out of the valve body, it should be replaced.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Try searching for pool plugs on e-bay. That's where i got mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Rubber-Ex ... ltDomain_0
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360