Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Amount of sand for filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Amount of sand for filter?

We are installing a new 24' x 52" above ground pool. It came with a 22" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter System model SD 60. On the filter the graph shows that it need 250 lbs of 20# silica sand. When I go to the Pentair website the graph there shows 200 lbs of sand. When I ordered the pool the salesman told me to get 150 lbs of silica which is what I did. How much more do I need to go get? I'm guessing what is on the side of the filter itself since it should be the most up to date.

I ordered the TF-100 on Friday and plan to start directly with the BBB method. I'm sure you will be seeing more questions in the future as this is all new to me. All we have had from friends is negative comments on the up keep of an AGP - I hope to prove them all wrong :P
    12,974 gallons
    Voyager LX 24' x 52" above ground - installed August 2010
    22" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter System
    1 1/2 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump
    full sun, no trees

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Amount of sand for filter?

I'd go with the 200#'s the manual suggests. It doesn't give a freeboard distance so you'll just have to rely on the amount called for.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Use the label. The manual on the website that I find:

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/sandfil ... ericOM.pdf

Doesn't say 200 lbs anywhere, it just says use whats on the label.
    In-ground Filters Engineer
    Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc.
    www.pentairpool.com
    1620 Hawkins Ave
    Sanford, NC 27330

4. Back To Top    #4

I retract my eariler post. Go with Brice's recommendation. I got the 200lbs out of the specific manual for the SD-60 but they could have changed the amount between the manual and the actual production model or even between different production models.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit