Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: trichlor pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

trichlor pucks

Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question. We just disconnected our nature 2 system because of its lack of durability. Naturally we used trichlor pucks but will be switching to a floater with regular chlorine pucks. I know you cannot mix these two kinds of pucks in a pressurize vessel but what about in the water itself? To my knowledge the trichlor puck just adds CYA but I just want to make sure I will not have a any issue's.

Thank you!
    21 ft. Aqualeader Sentinelle partially sunk
    Hayward Cartridge Filter
    Nature 2 Mineral Sanitizer w/auto Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: trichlor pucks

What do you mean by "regular chlorine pucks"? Most pucks you buy for a floater are trichlor.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

There's no "Normal" chlorine puck. The slow dissolving pucks are all Tri-Chlor - basically CYA and Chlorine

(What BK said )
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The only other kind is cal-hypo usually found in encapsulated form, but they are MUCH more rare to come by compared to tri-chlor. The only other Tab I know of is tri-chlor with blue specs of copper additive
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

I just remember two different buckets at the store. One said slow dissolve the other did not. I always bought the slow dissolve pucks and never really paid attention to the other kind, I did not realize they both contained trichlor. I feel pretty stupid now, but thank you for your replys!
    Hayward Cartridge Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Check the label. I'm not sure if they make Cal hypo in puck form, but thats the issue. Trichlor and cal hypo go boom.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

HTH do CalHypo sticks.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmustang
    I know you cannot mix these two kinds of pucks in a pressurize vessel but what about in the water itself?
    Using more than one kind of chlorine in the same pool is just fine. All you need to do is to be sure you add them to the pool separately.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmustang
    I know you cannot mix these two kinds of pucks in a pressurize vessel but what about in the water itself?
    Using more than one kind of chlorine in the same pool is just fine. All you need to do is to be sure you add them to the pool separately.
    Thank you Jason for answering my question.
    Hayward Cartridge Filter