New pool owner... Where do I start?

swanny

Aug 9, 2010
The pool is currently cloudy white. The pool store recommended draining and refilling the pool due to high TDS.. What do you guys think? Where do I start? Lowering PH? Adding CYA? both at the same time?
Pool is an IG Vinyl ( 25,800 Gal's )

Temp: 83
Sat idx: 0.5
TDS: 2300
CYA: 0
Tot Chlorine: 2.2
Free Chlorine: 0
pH: 7.4
Tot Alk: 245
Adj Tot Alk: 245
Tot Hardness: 309
Quat: 4

Thanks!

Brian

Welcome to TFP Brian.

Those are obviously pool store numbers. The issue with that is, they don't have a good track record on supplying accurate test results. They especially have trouble with the CYA number.

If we can believe those results they tell us that you need to shock. Remember shock is a process and not a product. They also tell us that you're in the range of calcium scaling. That may be the white clouding you see.
You have no FC but 2.2 CC's. Given the numbers we have you need to bring your FC to 10 but I highly suspect the CYA number is wrong.

Tell us a bit more and we can help.
How do you normally chlorinate? (SWCG, Tablet feeder, etc.)
What do you use for shock?
Where are you located?
What is your fill water source?
What have you added to your pool lately?

Dave,

Unfortunately I just started taking care of the pool this morning ( I.E. I am in the final stages of purchasing the home and would like to ensure the pool is maintianed before closing. As I take over I will probably go to the BBB form of pool maintinance )

What is being used to clorinate: There is a feeder on the pool that I believe the are using Silk Sticks on.
What do you use for shock: There were 8 gallons of pool shock in the trash last week.
Fill source: City water or water provided by a water delivery company
What have you added to your pool lately?: It looks like they threw a few Silk Sticks into the upper water return recently.

Welcome to TFP swanny! I ended up finding this place much the same way that you did in that I bought a house with a pool.

You need to do some reading in Pool School (link in my sig) and you need to get you a good test kit. The TF100 (link also in my sig line) is the best value out there and it will test for all the things that you need to monitor. The sooner you get a good test kit, the better off you are going to be. A high quality test kit that produces results that you can trust is the number one, single most important item that you can own to prevent problems with your pool.

Do not drain your pool. TDS is a fairly irrelevant value in testing. I also agree with Bama that the pool store numbers are suspect.

Thanks WM!

Already ordered a test kit ( Lamotte 2067 ColorQ ) I know its digital but its the only thing that will work well with the wife when I'm out of town. It should be here later this week.

Silk Sticks are Trichlor so they've been adding CYA to the pool all along. I suspect the shock was either Dichlor or Cal-Hypo.

The only issue with the Lamotte 2067 ColorQ is that it'll only test FC to 10ppm and you already need to shock and your shock level is going to be higher than that.

You might want to reconsider the ColorQ if you are gonna really do the BBB thing on your own. The FC test on that is DPD only - so wont be reliable.

If you go the TF100 route - once the pool is in good balance you can go monthly between almost all of the tests except FC and Ph - both of which are easy to do.

Having been through what you are doing now pool wise - If my wife had difficulty perceiving color I'd get both the TF100 and a digital reader. The precision and accuracy of the TF100 tests will save you a ton of guessing and money - the digital will keep PH and FC in range while you are gone.

And just to echo what others have said - those pool store numbers are highly suspect. Your CYA should be fairly high from the Silk Sticks. That TA number is very high and that CC number is way high - especially if it's been sunny.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.