Mixing Chemicals

JasonLion said:
Cal-hypo and any of dichlor, trichlor, dry acid, or cyanuric acid would do it.
Just curious...is it because he poured the mixture into the skimmer that an explosion happened? In other words, is it like gunpowder, if it hadn't been enclosed in a tight space(pipe) it would have just flashed instead of exploded? Scary! :shock:

I assume that he mixed powdered/granular products together and then poured the mixture into the skimmer, though the article doesn't make that totally clear. Mixed powders suddenly added to water would give the most dramatic effect. If they weren't pre-mixed you would get several pops, instead of one explosion.

JasonLion said:
I assume that he mixed powdered/granular products together and then poured the mixture into the skimmer, though the article doesn't make that totally clear. Mixed powders suddenly added to water would give the most dramatic effect. If they weren't pre-mixed you would get several pops, instead of one explosion.
So you're saying if you suddenly dumped mixed powders into the middle of the pool, there would be an explosion?!? Dang, if that's the case I think there should be more prominent warnings in the store and on the packaging.

Beez said:
JasonLion said:
So you're saying if you suddenly dumped mixed powders into the middle of the pool, there would be an explosion?!? Dang, if that's the case I think there should be more prominent warnings in the store and on the packaging.
The video showed him reenacting the event. He poured them from a bucket directly to the skimmer. Both products (not sure if they were premixed or not) would have ended up trapped in the filter and dissolving rapidly. This accelerated the reaction producing the explosion and back-pressure through the skimmer line.

jparr said:
The video showed him reenacting the event. He poured them from a bucket directly to the skimmer. Both products (not sure if they were premixed or not) would have ended up trapped in the filter and dissolving rapidly. This accelerated the reaction producing the explosion and back-pressure through the skimmer line.
That's the scenario I envisioned. That he poured the mixed powders into the skimmer where they reacted within the line and "exploded" because they were enclosed in a tight space.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.