Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mixing Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Mixing Chemicals

Guess this guy got quite lucky yesterday here in NH.

http://www.wmur.com/news/24558456/detail.html
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Always read the lable first!

A little reminder that trichlor and cal-hypo do not play well together.

You can use trichlor and cal-hypo in the same pool, just not at the same time!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Mixing Chemicals

I wonder what he mixed together that was so explosive. Maybe Richard can shed some light?
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Cal-hypo and any of dichlor, trichlor, dry acid, or cyanuric acid would do it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Cal-hypo and any of dichlor, trichlor, dry acid, or cyanuric acid would do it.
    Just curious...is it because he poured the mixture into the skimmer that an explosion happened? In other words, is it like gunpowder, if it hadn't been enclosed in a tight space(pipe) it would have just flashed instead of exploded? Scary!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

I assume that he mixed powdered/granular products together and then poured the mixture into the skimmer, though the article doesn't make that totally clear. Mixed powders suddenly added to water would give the most dramatic effect. If they weren't pre-mixed you would get several pops, instead of one explosion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I assume that he mixed powdered/granular products together and then poured the mixture into the skimmer, though the article doesn't make that totally clear. Mixed powders suddenly added to water would give the most dramatic effect. If they weren't pre-mixed you would get several pops, instead of one explosion.
    So you're saying if you suddenly dumped mixed powders into the middle of the pool, there would be an explosion?!? Dang, if that's the case I think there should be more prominent warnings in the store and on the packaging.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    So you're saying if you suddenly dumped mixed powders into the middle of the pool, there would be an explosion?!? Dang, if that's the case I think there should be more prominent warnings in the store and on the packaging.
    The video showed him reenacting the event. He poured them from a bucket directly to the skimmer. Both products (not sure if they were premixed or not) would have ended up trapped in the filter and dissolving rapidly. This accelerated the reaction producing the explosion and back-pressure through the skimmer line.
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jparr
    The video showed him reenacting the event. He poured them from a bucket directly to the skimmer. Both products (not sure if they were premixed or not) would have ended up trapped in the filter and dissolving rapidly. This accelerated the reaction producing the explosion and back-pressure through the skimmer line.
    That's the scenario I envisioned. That he poured the mixed powders into the skimmer where they reacted within the line and "exploded" because they were enclosed in a tight space.

10. Back To Top    #10

A video of what happens when you mix Trichlor with Cal-Hypo is shown here. A video of the differing fire potential of Cal-Hypo at different strengths is shown here.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    A video of what happens when you mix Trichlor with Cal-Hypo is shown here. A video of the differing fire potential of Cal-Hypo at different strengths is shown here.
    That is just amazing. And scary. No wonder the family is pushing for more effective warning...

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow - THAT's a powerful video...

Surprised that we don't have the DHS all over us pool guys.

Thanks!

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)