Can i re-use a liner

May 1, 2010
Near Nashville TN
Okay, new pool- couple problems- that I am going to have to live with, cause I didn't catch it. My walls on the deep end right side fell about 5 inches from level when the concrete footer was in place. The guys forgot to re-shoot level with the laser. They ended up having to shim the coping up - got it up about 2 inches- much better, but not perfect- can't really tell unless I point it out, but it still bugs me. Next, we did a pool krete bottom- I am not happy with the smoothness you can see, especially at night. Ways,, some dips, high spots, holes, trawl marks, etc. Also, there is a rock, or something by the pool steps. looks like a piece of 1/2" gravel under the liner- obviously this will weaken, and tear. There are also places on the walls where concrete wasn't scraped off and I can feel the dried concrete behind the liner-again, potential future trouble. I told my pool builder and he said he would take care of it after swimming is over for the summer. I hope the pool krete can be sanded down with a floor sander (anyone know) they sanded most of it with hand sanding blocks.

Can my liner be re-used if we drain the pool, take out the lights, skimmers, etc to repair the bottom?? The lights, cut-out for the steps, skimmers, etc would all have to be put back in the same screw holes in the liner- anyone done this before??

It will be difficult to get everything to line up again once they remove the liner. I would think since these are repairs/corrections from installation that the builder would be responsible for replacing the liner if it cannot be re-used.

I'm putting in a 20x40 in-ground also and I'm having some of the same problems you're having. I did a vermiculite bottom and also have quite a bit of un-eveness. From what I've read, even a pro job won't look great with the light on. I also had some bumps under my liner like you describe. It was starting to storm and we hurried to put the liner in and missed a few marble sized vermiculite pebbles. I'm not sure I recommend this but since I put it in and don't have a PB to complain to I took a rubber dead-blow mallet and gently tapped the "marbles" until they flattened out. Vermiculite is quite brittle. Hard to do in the deep end under water but it worked perfectly. If yours is in fact a piece of gravel I wouldn't try it. Your PB should take care of it anyway. As far as reusing the liner I dont see how it would be possible. I thought of pulling the whole thing out to get to the bumps but there's no way I could get the tension needed around the steps to re install it. If anyone knows of a way I would be interested too

drchris66 said:
I'm putting in a 20x40 in-ground also and I'm having some of the same problems you're having. I did a vermiculite bottom and also have quite a bit of un-eveness. From what I've read, even a pro job won't look great with the light on. I also had some bumps under my liner like you describe. It was starting to storm and we hurried to put the liner in and missed a few marble sized vermiculite pebbles. I'm not sure I recommend this but since I put it in and don't have a PB to complain to I took a rubber dead-blow mallet and gently tapped the "marbles" until they flattened out. Vermiculite is quite brittle. Hard to do in the deep end under water but it worked perfectly. If yours is in fact a piece of gravel I wouldn't try it. Your PB should take care of it anyway. As far as reusing the liner I dont see how it would be possible. I thought of pulling the whole thing out to get to the bumps but there's no way I could get the tension needed around the steps to re install it. If anyone knows of a way I would be interested too

Was going to say the same thing myself. If the bumps are pieces of vermic, then you can use a rubber mallet or the backend of a screwdriver and press the lumps into the pool floor. The vermic is soft and will not cause damage to the liner. If its not a chunk of vermic and you think it may actually be a rock, then do not push on it. Get that pool builder over asap, ( pulling him by the hair if need be) :x

That is very similar to a problem I have with my liner. The pool has only been in the ground a couple of weeks and I have only had the chance to use it three times. I noticed what appears to be a ridge about 1/2" high and maybe 2 feet long in the deep end about 5 feet down. We have a sand and cement bottom. Does anybody know if this mallet trick will work with this type of base or does the liner need to be removed and the base smoothed out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.