Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Distance from pump to skimmer/return?

1. Back To Top    #1

Distance from pump to skimmer/return?

AGP to be installed tomorrow. 1.5 HP Hayward Power Pro Matrix, single speed pump. Initially planned on putting skimmer and return on SW end to hide it and electric was wired accordingly. Now thanks to TFP, I know the skimmer should be placed according to prevailing winds which means SE corner. That would make a run of approx. 15 feet from pump/filter. I've bought supplies to hard plumb with 1.5" pipe but may have to use flex hose initially.

From reading here, this doesn't seem too far but the pool store said it needed to be withing 6' which is why I placed my electric where I did. Any advice?
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Distance from pump to skimmer/return?

I don't think the distance should be a problem. You have an oversized pump for the size of your pool so it shouldn't have any problem circulating the water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Distance from pump to skimmer/return?

Thanks. I know I'm stuck with an oversize pump, for now at least, so I might as well plumb it like I want if I have power. It was a display so I got the whole setup. The store rep said he wished it was a smaller pump but it was a set.

If my electric jumps a lot, I'll try to sell this on craigslist and buy a two speed for next year.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,