Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I usually test on Saturdays and find that the pH is 7.8 - 8.

1. Back To Top    #1

I usually test on Saturdays and find that the pH is 7.8 - 8.

Split off of this topic. JasonLion

I am curious to know also because we are in the same boat. I usually test on Saturdays and find that the pH is 7.8 - 8.2. I add muriatic acid to bring pH to 7.2. Sorry to ask this question to the OP, but what would happen if I left the pH high? I have never went 2 weeks without testing.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pebble pools tend to require more acid than plaster pools

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Pebble surfaces are less reactive than plaster surfaces and should react something like a pool that was 7/8 vinyl and 1/8 plaster.

I suspect it has to do with the kind of equipment purchased with a pebble pool, rather than anything inherent to the pebble surface. Pebble pool owners are more likely to purchase a SWG, more likely to have water features to cause aeration, etc just because they are spending more money.

Leaving the PH high gives you significantly higher risk for calcium scaling and metal stains, depending on your chemical levels in the water.

PH drift can be minimized by lowering TA to around 60, or better still adding borates to around 30 to 50 and then lowering TA to around 50.
    Not to rain in on the OP, but this is related so please excuse me.
    Jason here are my numbers as of 08-01-10
    FC - 5
    CC - 0.5
    TC - 5.5
    pH - 7.2 Added MA 24 hrs previous day because pH was 7.8 - 8.2
    T/A - 40
    CH - 450
    CYA - 45
    Temp - 90
    SWG - 3100
    Borates - color is between 50 - 80 ( I find it hard to distinguish colors using Lamotte strips)
    It seems to me that I still got the same swings in pH as before adding borates which I did on 02-07-10.
    We only aereate on the weekends , maybe a few hrs at most
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I usually test on Saturdays and find that the pH is 7.8 - 8.

Is the pool less than one year old? Plaster/pebble applied in the last year will cause the PH to rise constantly. There is a dramatic PH increase during the first three or four weeks, and then a slower increase for up to a year.

You should raise your CYA level up to between 70 and 80. That will help stabilize the PH some.

How often/long do you run the sheer descents?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: I usually test on Saturdays and find that the pH is 7.8 - 8.

Jason, the pool is exactly 1 yr old. Ouch I did not catch my CYA being so low. I will adjust tomorrow back to 70-80. I also run the sheer descents about a couple of hrs on the weekends. Thanks