Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CDC stated to avoid eye irritation to keep PH at 7.3

1. Back To Top    #1

CDC stated to avoid eye irritation to keep PH at 7.3

Split off of this topic. JasonLion

I was reading a CDC article that stated that to avoid eye irritation to keep the pH at 7.3. None of the recommended pH levels at TFP go that low. I am not real sure how sensative eyes are to pH levels above 7.3 (like 7.5 - 7.8), but it may be the cause of irritation. I would like to know myself because your levels look good to me and my kids suffer with red eyes as well.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Red eyes!?!?

Just noticed a post where Jason stated that the CDC recommendation of pH 7.3 is only valid at a CYA level of 0. Don't know how CYA affects this but maybe Jason can explain. We might be floating towards the Deep End.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CDC stated to avoid eye irritation to keep PH at 7.3

When there isn't any CYA in the water (and only then) the effectiveness of chlorine varies dramatically with the PH. Without CYA, PH around 7.8 results in dramatically lower effective sanitizer levels than PH around 7.3. From a purely chlorine effectiveness point of view you would actually want the PH even lower, but PH below 7.2 causes other problems, so they recommend PH around 7.3. If the chlorine is not effective enough, there can be things (bacteria, CC) in the water which will cause eye irritation.

As soon as you add CYA, the relationship between PH and chlorine effectiveness changes significantly, becoming a relatively minor factor that can be ignored most of the time.

In the topic where this first came up, FC/TC testing errors are presumably hiding a CC above 0.5 problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The pH of most of the human body is 7.35 - 7.45. Im not sure why they recommended this, except for the higher levels of HOCl as mentioned above.
    Sincerely,

Rob Estell
    NSPF CPO Instructor
    www.thepoolpros.com
    Follow me on Twitter @robestell
    Find me on Facebook.com/robestell

5. Back To Top    #5

This post gives more info on the pH of human tears (averages 7.5) and on eye irritation (not usually caused by pH in the 7-9 range; mostly due to chloramines or to lower salt levels resulting in greater osmotic pressure).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"