How long does pebbletec finish last

kal2002,

Adams does in fact work in our area. They did the ptec on my neighbors pool and I see their trucks all the time. The other ptec installer in our area is Aqua Pools. They built my pool and I was happy with them.

Don't get frustrated with your pool, stick around here and you will see that maintenance can be very easy and inexpensive. If you know you are going to be in the market for a filter and pump soon, keep checking out Craigslist. I see equipment there that is not that old and very cheap. I'm guessing it's people selling their equipment because they are going into foreclosure. Their loss can be your gain.

Good Luck,

Kevin

kal2002 said:
I do have a leak at the filtration unit. Is it a bad thing to let it continue to leak intermittenly until we decide on a new filter unit?

I doubt that an intermittent leak will do much, if any, damage. If you know that you are going to be replacing the filter in the future, I would just keep an eye on it. It may be something pretty simple, as filters are not to complicated, and may even be able to be fixed and give you many more years of service. i would look at it all closely when you clean it next and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary.

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner :oops: I got a little busy and haven't spent much time in here in the last couple days.

Thanks. You guys are really helpful. Yeah, I am frustrated with the pool. It is older and it seems to need constant maintenance. Now that I learned how to do the chemicals, thanks to all of you on this forum, I am at least not at some pool service's mercy. But when it comes to pool equipment and replaster, we feel pretty helpless. Since we did not have the pool installed, we never did any research on how pool equipment works and what is available, etc. We have seen pool equipment listed on Craigslist but afraid to even consider them.

I have not yet contacted the pool builder regarding the pebbletec finish issue. I will sometime this week. Regarding the filtration unit, I was told that it is obsolete so its days are numbered. The pump hummed sometimes before it started but that was a few weeks ago. After I ran it 24/7 for 5 days, it has not done that since. Among all the things that need to be done to the pool, the replaster part bothers us the most.

I would personally be a bit wary about the used equipment also. While nobody really wants to buy new pool equipment, it really isn't terribly high priced (my numbers quoted earlier should be pretty accurate) and it lasts for a very long time. The peace of mind in having a warranty is also a bonus.

I would try and get a quote on the Pebble patch. That would be better than worrying about how much it might cost, and then you will know. I don't think it will be too bad, and the industry is so slow that you may even get better pricing/attention than if it was booming (which is what was probably happening when your pool was built, and someone wasn't paying as good of attention as they should have). If you get a quote and want me to take a look at it, send me a PM and I'll see if it sounds like it is line. Fair is fair!

Don't lose sleep on this. All of it is minor (you don't have structure issues, so be thankful for that!) and easily repaired/replaced. Hang in there :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.