FC 5
    TC 3
    PH 7.6
    Alk 90
    Salt 3900
    Borate 30-50
    CYA 80
    CH 350

Me and the kids get red irritated eyes after 1 hr of swimming. Is this normal or is there a value that I am forgetting?

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Red eyes!?!?

How did you come up with a TC of 3 when your FC is 5? Is this meant to be CC? If so that could be you problem.
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

3. Back To Top    #3

Total chlorine (TC) cannot be less than free chlorine (FC). The equation for TC is FC+CC=TC. The CC is Combined Chlorine, the "waste" chlorine that needs to be shocked to get rid of it. If your TC is actually 5 and your FC is 3 then you have a CC of 2. When you have CC greater than .5 then you need to shock your pool. High CCs can cause eye irritation which is probably what is going on with you and the kids.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nope, FC is 5 and TC test was 3, the only way to get CC in my kit is to subtract TC from FC to get CC. I know it os a negative value, can someone comment on this?

5. Back To Top    #5

CC is Zero, I can't smell any bad chlorine smell and water is HD clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are they two separate tests? What test kit are you using?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Arstechnica
    Nope, FC is 5 and TC test was 3, the only way to get CC in my kit is to subtract TC from FC to get CC. I know it os a negative value, can someone comment on this?
    I'll comment...you are doing something wrong. CC can not be less than zero and TC = FC+CC
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Well that is what I am getting. My test kit is a Taylor k 2005. The test does FC, then you measure TC. The only way to get CC is to do TC - FC to get CC. If TC is negative, does that mean I have a high CC?

9. Back To Top    #9

TC is not negative, can never be negative. You are doing something wrong.

One likely problem with the DPD chlorine test in the K-2005 happens when either the FC or TC level is above 5. That can cause the test to read falsely low (even read zero when FC/TC is actually very high). Try doing the test again with dilution, ie mix one part of pool water with an equal amount of chlorine free water (typically distilled water), test that, and multiply the result by two. That will make it less likely that you go over the limit and get false readings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Will RO/DI do? Thanks guys!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, RO water, with or without DI, is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I found this: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemical ... orine.html

My Chl is at 5 ppm is that too high? Does your eye get red at 5 ppm

13. Back To Top    #13

Normal chlorine levels used in swimming pools will not cause any eye irritation. In this context normal is between the minimum and shock level for your CYA level. With CYA around 80, your minimum is around 6 (or 4 if you have a SWG).

Chlorine causes eye irritation at far higher levels. Straight bleach would cause a dramatic amount of eye irritation. But at the levels typically used in swimming pools it is not even detectable.

I suspect that either your FC level is too low (5 instead of 6) or you have a substantial CC level. But it is difficult to tell without knowing your test results with dilution.

14. Back To Top    #14

Okay I did the dilution method and the CC is infact 0. My chlorine is at 4-5ppm, pH 7.4, alk 80, cya 80, borate 50. Now I could just be picky, but I would think that if my levels are like this, I should feel no irritation or reddness what so ever. What do you guys think? It could just be me expecting too much from near perfect readings?

Thanks again!

15. Back To Top    #15

Your readings are not perfect. As mentioned previously, your FC level is too low for your CYA level (unless you have a SWG that you haven't mentioned). With CYA at 80, FC should be between 6 and 11, and never below 6.

16. Back To Top    #16

Is there a 'perfect' pH for comfy eyes? I would guess the the 7.4 - 7.6 reported should be pretty close to the pH of normal tears, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

15x33x54 Oval AG
    15000USG
    Hayward 3/4hp pump
    Hayward 22" sand filter
    BBB

17. Back To Top    #17

Do you have a salt water chlorine generator (SWG)? What other source of chlorine are you using?
    I would suspect that if you have an SWG, you may be fighting a lurking algae bloom, and would need to shock to get rid of it.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by dfenrick
    Is there a 'perfect' pH for comfy eyes? I would guess the the 7.4 - 7.6 reported should be pretty close to the pH of normal tears, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.
    The pH of human tears (actually, the fluids covering the human eye) varies but averages around 7.5 as reported in a paper I linked to in this post. However, another link in that post showed that pH wasn't a big factor in irritation, even in the range of 7 to 9, but low salt levels were irritating. Other links show that chloramines (such as those that show up as Combined Chlorine), especially nitrogen trichloride, can be very irritating.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Quote Originally Posted by dfenrick
    The pH of human tears (actually, the fluids covering the human eye) varies but averages around 7.5 as reported in a paper I linked to in this post. However, another link in that post showed that pH wasn't a big factor in irritation, even in the range of 7 to 9, but low salt levels were irritating. Other links show that chloramines (such as those that show up as Combined Chlorine), especially nitrogen trichloride, can be very irritating.
    The pH in my pool, 7-7.2 doesn't bother my eyes nor my dog's eyes at all. As far as my skin and eyes I'm a very blond, very delicate flower. Just about everything irritates my skin and eyes but my pool water doesn't.

I've had spas for 24 years. I've used chlorine or bromine for sanitation since discovering TFP and keeping water balanced. I haven't had any eye irritation from spa water using BBB. When I used ionization and only non chlorine shock or used bromine and didn't know about proper balance I always had eye irritation and frequently had to use lots of other products to keep the water clear that made the irritation worse. For a year now my spa water has ranged from pH 7.0 to 7.8. As long as water is balanced and properly sanitized I have no irritation from that huge range of pH.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Your readings are not perfect. As mentioned previously, your FC level is too low for your CYA level (unless you have a SWG that you haven't mentioned). With CYA at 80, FC should be between 6 and 11, and never below 6.
    I do have a SWG. Would the difference between the FC and CYA levels cause red eyes?
    Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast