Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainwater and hardness

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainwater and hardness

I'm going to be draining my pool this winter to tile it. I was thinking of refilling with rainwater but I would have a problem with lack of hardness causing corrosion, especially as it is a concrete pool.
    My well doesn't produce enough to fill my pool nicely, it takes 3 weeks and drags lots of sediment that have to be removed, but other than that it is nice water and easily balances. The well water is used by the house and takes ages to clear up after.
    I looked at the price of hardness increaser from my pool supplier. I get this at trade price but even so it was so much money as I need around 15-20 kilos (33-44 lbs).
    Is there a cheaper way of raising CH? I have access to things like slaked lime, calcium hydroxide etc
    Thanks in advance
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainwater and hardness

Why wouldn't you just buy a 50lb bag of calcium chloride???

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/produc ... KU=7208895

3. Back To Top    #3

Where I am in Portugal we don't get snow, hence no Calcium Chloride in that form, in fact I am Googling "Clorito de Calcio" and I've not found anything yet.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

Calcium chloride is also sold in the concrete industry, where it is used to accelerate curing. Neither of the two most common uses (deicing & concrete accelerant) are common in warm/tropical areas, where it can be rather difficult to find calcium chloride.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Calcium chloride is also sold for the concrete industry where it is used to accelerate curing. Neither of those uses are common in warm/tropical areas, where it can be rather difficult to find.
    Huh???

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, I've poured a lot of concrete and not ever needed an accelerator. I did find some vague agricultural links but nothing useful yet.

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you have any chemical distributors in Portugal?? Like here http://www.galladechem.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by salp
    Huh???
    Try my improved wording, above.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

OK, sorry to bump this but I didn't get resolution last time and I have since found out that I can use Calcium Hydroxide, of which I have plenty but it will impact pH. I also haven't a clue on the dosing. Can anyone help with this?