green pool

Aug 7, 2010
Have been on this site religously. Information has been outstanding. Have been testing my above ground (10000 gal) 3 to 4 times a day to try and get rid of this perfectly green color pool water. All tests are good and within rec. limits. Have switched out filter, vacummed, brushed and nothing has changed. It has been four days since I started dealing with it and does not seem to change at all. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Would love to switch to the BBB method, but am trying to clear this green up. Thanks for your time.

Cloudy green almost always implies algae. Algae ALWAYS says your FC has not been high enough to kill it.

A full set of test results would be very helpful and I think the suggestions you get will be to shock your pool. Read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and follow that process and you will be rid of the green.

Yes, it I would agree. the tests show FC 1.0, CC 5.0 + , TA 220 , PH 7.5, TH 220. Not sure what else to add. I know it says to shock, but do I just keep using bleach or do I add super shock? I have tested early, then afternoon, just did and have been testing in evening. The chlorine level is not dropping. The last things I added were stabilizer and muratic acid, before that , bleach.

So you keep adding bleach, testing and adding bleach up to hourly until your FC hits 16 and stays there overnight. So you add the correct amount, let it circulate and then test in an hour. If you come up with a FC of 4, for example, you recalculate to hit 16 again and add that much bleach, etc. and so on and so on (I'm assuming you have learned to use the Pool Calculator?). Make sure you are running the filter 24/7.

You're going to need an FAS-DPD test kit since your HTH kit only tests TC up to 5. You can go with the hole kit or just the FAS-DPD chlorine test shown here:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html
Since you already have the HTH your next option would be to upgrade to this kit:
http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-50-p55.html which includes the test I linked above. More bang for your buck.

Post back if you need clarification on anything - hope this helps :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.