New CircuPool RJ45 Install - Low Salt?

jparr

Jun 12, 2010
This morning I put in my CircuPool RJ45 and fired it up. It is reporting low salt since the first salinity test. The readout showed <2500ppm at first, which according to the manual is normal, but after a few cycles through the salinity test it is reporting salt as 2600ppm. The water was tested with a Taylor salt test kit Thursday night as 1400ppm. I added 300lbs of blue solar salt, and it was all visibly dissolved by Friday morning. A salt test on Friday evening reported 3600ppm salt. I tested again this morning (Saturday) and got 3200ppm salt. Still higher than the RJ45 is reading. Do I just need to wait for things to settle in, or is there a problem?

It can take 24 hours before the salt reading catches up with reality, so it should have just caught up today. Also, keep in mind that all of the salt tests (both the test kit and the SWG) are +-400. That means a difference of as much as 800 is considered "normal".

What is the RJ45 reading now?

JasonLion said:
It can take 24 hours before the salt reading catches up with reality, so it should have just caught up today. Also, keep in mind that all of the salt tests (both the test kit and the SWG) are +-400. That means a difference of as much as 800 is considered "normal".

What is the RJ45 reading now?
The salt was added Thursday night, but the RJ 45 was just installed and turned on this morning. According to the Pool Calculator (based on the 1400ppm starting point) adding 300lbs of salt should put me around 3700ppm. This jives with the two Taylor tests, which reported 3600 and 3200. I guess I'll just let it run overnight and see if it settles down.

Still no luck with the salt level readout. The SWCG ran for ten hours Saturday, ten Sunday, and a few hours so far today. It still reports either <2500 salt or 2600 salt. Another strange thing is that the clock loses time every time the external timer shuts it off. Shouldn't it be keeping the correct time even with the power loss?

I have the CompuPool which I think is the same as yours.

First, mine looses the time too because it is hooked up to the pump timer. Evidently there is not backbup battery.

Second, mine was reading low salt and I was also getting various no flow errors, etc. Upon further inspection I noticed the plug was not very secure on the unit. I called tech support and they said to bend the tabs on the plug inward. There are three tabs and using a small screwdriver you can bend them in a bit. Then it fit on more snugly and the errors and low salt readings went away.

lborne said:

First, mine looses the time too because it is hooked up to the pump timer. Evidently there is not backbup battery.

Second, mine was reading low salt and I was also getting various no flow errors, etc. Upon further inspection I noticed the plug was not very secure on the unit. I called tech support and they said to bend the tabs on the plug inward. There are three tabs and using a small screwdriver you can bend them in a bit. Then it fit on more snugly and the errors and low salt readings went away.
That sounds about right. The power plug on mine that connects to the cell doesn't appear to be seated completely against the unit, but I pushed about as hard as I felt was safe considering the plastic shell. I'll pull it off tonight and see if I can make a better connection.

jparr said:
lborne said:

That sounds about right. The power plug on mine that connects to the cell doesn't appear to be seated completely against the unit, but I pushed about as hard as I felt was safe considering the plastic shell. I'll pull it off tonight and see if I can make a better connection.
Reseating the power plug on the cell had no effect. CircuPool advised that we should wait a few days, and recalibrate the unit if it did not level out. This afternoon we went through the calibration process on the phone, and set it to match the Taylor drop based test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lborne said:
...First, mine looses the time too because it is hooked up to the pump timer. Evidently there is not backbup battery...

All, I have the CircuPool RJ45 connected to my timer and my unit has power even when the pump is off. That is to say I do not loose the clock. The screen displays "OFF".(The screen kind of greys out but still visible. I guess you can say the backlight dims.)

I have the Circupool RJ45 as well and the salt reading is all over the place when compared to the Taylor salt test.
The RJ says everywhere from 3500 to 5500 when the actual reading is around 3400.
I have to say that I love this SWG though. I am running it on a 30 k pool in 100+ heat, 8 hours everyday, I have dialed it down to 40% and still maintain a 4 FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.