Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New CircuPool RJ45 Install - Low Salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

New CircuPool RJ45 Install - Low Salt?

This morning I put in my CircuPool RJ45 and fired it up. It is reporting low salt since the first salinity test. The readout showed <2500ppm at first, which according to the manual is normal, but after a few cycles through the salinity test it is reporting salt as 2600ppm. The water was tested with a Taylor salt test kit Thursday night as 1400ppm. I added 300lbs of blue solar salt, and it was all visibly dissolved by Friday morning. A salt test on Friday evening reported 3600ppm salt. I tested again this morning (Saturday) and got 3200ppm salt. Still higher than the RJ45 is reading. Do I just need to wait for things to settle in, or is there a problem?
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New CircuPool RJ45 Install - Low Salt?

Just to clarify, the unit does appear to be making chlorine, there is the telltale fog on the output side of the cell.
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

3. Back To Top    #3

It can take 24 hours before the salt reading catches up with reality, so it should have just caught up today. Also, keep in mind that all of the salt tests (both the test kit and the SWG) are +-400. That means a difference of as much as 800 is considered "normal".

What is the RJ45 reading now?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It can take 24 hours before the salt reading catches up with reality, so it should have just caught up today. Also, keep in mind that all of the salt tests (both the test kit and the SWG) are +-400. That means a difference of as much as 800 is considered "normal".

What is the RJ45 reading now?
    The salt was added Thursday night, but the RJ 45 was just installed and turned on this morning. According to the Pool Calculator (based on the 1400ppm starting point) adding 300lbs of salt should put me around 3700ppm. This jives with the two Taylor tests, which reported 3600 and 3200. I guess I'll just let it run overnight and see if it settles down.

5. Back To Top    #5

The displayed salt level is a 24 hour average. If the unit was just installed it won't display the correct salt level for 24 hours.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Gotcha, that makes sense. It is up to 2600ppm now, and the "Add Salt" LED is off. I'll be sure to post back when it levels out to see if it is inline with the Taylor test.

7. Back To Top    #7

Still no luck with the salt level readout. The SWCG ran for ten hours Saturday, ten Sunday, and a few hours so far today. It still reports either <2500 salt or 2600 salt. Another strange thing is that the clock loses time every time the external timer shuts it off. Shouldn't it be keeping the correct time even with the power loss?

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the CompuPool which I think is the same as yours.

First, mine looses the time too because it is hooked up to the pump timer. Evidently there is not backbup battery.

Second, mine was reading low salt and I was also getting various no flow errors, etc. Upon further inspection I noticed the plug was not very secure on the unit. I called tech support and they said to bend the tabs on the plug inward. There are three tabs and using a small screwdriver you can bend them in a bit. Then it fit on more snugly and the errors and low salt readings went away.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lborne

First, mine looses the time too because it is hooked up to the pump timer. Evidently there is not backbup battery.

Second, mine was reading low salt and I was also getting various no flow errors, etc. Upon further inspection I noticed the plug was not very secure on the unit. I called tech support and they said to bend the tabs on the plug inward. There are three tabs and using a small screwdriver you can bend them in a bit. Then it fit on more snugly and the errors and low salt readings went away.
    That sounds about right. The power plug on mine that connects to the cell doesn't appear to be seated completely against the unit, but I pushed about as hard as I felt was safe considering the plastic shell. I'll pull it off tonight and see if I can make a better connection.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jparr

That sounds about right. The power plug on mine that connects to the cell doesn't appear to be seated completely against the unit, but I pushed about as hard as I felt was safe considering the plastic shell. I'll pull it off tonight and see if I can make a better connection.
    Reseating the power plug on the cell had no effect. CircuPool advised that we should wait a few days, and recalibrate the unit if it did not level out. This afternoon we went through the calibration process on the phone, and set it to match the Taylor drop based test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Would you mind telling us the calibration procedure?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

12. Back To Top    #12

Would you mind telling us the calibration procedure?
    +1
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

13. Back To Top    #13

...First, mine looses the time too because it is hooked up to the pump timer. Evidently there is not backbup battery...
    All, I have the CircuPool RJ45 connected to my timer and my unit has power even when the pump is off. That is to say I do not loose the clock. The screen displays "OFF".(The screen kind of greys out but still visible. I guess you can say the backlight dims.)
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the Circupool RJ45 as well and the salt reading is all over the place when compared to the Taylor salt test.
    The RJ says everywhere from 3500 to 5500 when the actual reading is around 3400.
    I have to say that I love this SWG though. I am running it on a 30 k pool in 100+ heat, 8 hours everyday, I have dialed it down to 40% and still maintain a 4 FC level.
    Taylor FAS DPD test kit. 30k gal salt in-ground plaster pool. CircuPool RJ45. Cartridge Filter.