Do you do your daily Chlorine tests with the TF100?

Re: How long does a TF100 test kit last?

If you are asking me.... I use the powder and the reagent in the TF100 kit. I find that at my CYA level, the blue box is able to tell me only that I have SOME chlorine, not really how much. (how yellow is yellow??) Once I've gone to the pool to get a sample, it is just as easy to do the drop test as any other test. I always do the FC test, rarely do the CC test unless I suspect something (extra debris in the pool perhaps), and I do the other tests maybe once a month unless I am actively changing something by using Cal-hypo or pucks or had a lot of rain or fill water that affects TA levels.

Re: How long does a TF100 test kit last?

anonapersona said:
If you are asking me.... I use the powder and the reagent in the TF100 kit. I find that at my CYA level, the blue box is able to tell me only that I have SOME chlorine, not really how much. (how yellow is yellow??) Once I've gone to the pool to get a sample, it is just as easy to do the drop test as any other test. I always do the FC test, rarely do the CC test unless I suspect something (extra debris in the pool perhaps), and I do the other tests maybe once a month unless I am actively changing something by using Cal-hypo or pucks or had a lot of rain or fill water that affects TA levels.

That's what i've been doing. Since i need to keep my Chlorine at about 7 i have been using the power to give me my results. I wasn't sure how long that would last, which is kind of why i brought it up in this topic.
Thanks for the info.

I usually do the Taylor daily and the powder once a week. As I'm home most of the time able to keep the FC up above the minimum of my target, currently 5-9, and swimmer load is pretty consistent, so FC loss/use is pretty predictable. The few times the FC has been a little below the bottom of my range I'll do powder test. I've only tested for CC three or four times the whole summer, and it's on the rare occasion that the FC goes just a little below range for a few hours. I haven't had any algae, at all, and always CC .5 or less, for a year now.

When my CYA was 40-50 range I always put 50 into the calculator to be sure there was adequate bleach addition. Even if it was actually 40 and not 50 adding for 50 doesn't take it up to shock levels. So I always adjust the Calculator CYA level on the high end of my subjective CYA testing. My CYA could possibly be a little less than 60 now but very probably not lower than 50.

I'm having to backwash a lot, due to a pretty aggressive calcium scale treatment loading up the filter, so I'm going to be testing CYA more often than usual. I'll be testing the other values more often than once a month too.

gg=alice

i use the powder everytime i test. i typically test the cholorine and PH every other day depending on weather conditions and such. if something abnormal happens here in texas like rain.......i will test immediatly afterwards and make the appropriate chemical additions if necessary.

Can't say I've ever used the Taylor daily chlorine test, I always use the dpd powder test. As for frequency, it depends on how much the pool is used. I try to do it at least once a week in the summer, more often if we're in the pool. I've got the SWG dialed in and the PH rise is predicable, so I know about when I'll need to add acid and test at that time.

In another thread I commented on the huge difference I saw between my OTO and my FAS/DPD (powder) test. The HTH OTO kit can't read above 5 TC anyway and to my eyes was consistently at 5 or just above. When I finally wised up and got the TF powder kit my FC was actually at 11. Since I have to use the HTH kit to test pH I still do check the TC daily using the OTO drops to make sure nothing looks totally out of whack, but my plan is to use the powder a couple of times a week and I test everything else (TA, CH, CYA) at least once a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.