Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you do your daily Chlorine tests with the TF100?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you do your daily Chlorine tests with the TF100?

Not to steal this thread, but do you do your daily Chlorine tests with the TF100 or do you use the Taylor kit that comes with it?

If it occurs to you that you might be stealing a thread, you should start a new topic. JasonLion
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long does a TF100 test kit last?

If you are asking me.... I use the powder and the reagent in the TF100 kit. I find that at my CYA level, the blue box is able to tell me only that I have SOME chlorine, not really how much. (how yellow is yellow??) Once I've gone to the pool to get a sample, it is just as easy to do the drop test as any other test. I always do the FC test, rarely do the CC test unless I suspect something (extra debris in the pool perhaps), and I do the other tests maybe once a month unless I am actively changing something by using Cal-hypo or pucks or had a lot of rain or fill water that affects TA levels.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How long does a TF100 test kit last?

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    If you are asking me.... I use the powder and the reagent in the TF100 kit. I find that at my CYA level, the blue box is able to tell me only that I have SOME chlorine, not really how much. (how yellow is yellow??) Once I've gone to the pool to get a sample, it is just as easy to do the drop test as any other test. I always do the FC test, rarely do the CC test unless I suspect something (extra debris in the pool perhaps), and I do the other tests maybe once a month unless I am actively changing something by using Cal-hypo or pucks or had a lot of rain or fill water that affects TA levels.
    That's what i've been doing. Since i need to keep my Chlorine at about 7 i have been using the power to give me my results. I wasn't sure how long that would last, which is kind of why i brought it up in this topic.
    Thanks for the info.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Do you do your daily Chlorine tests with the TF100?

I usually do the Taylor daily and the powder once a week. As I'm home most of the time able to keep the FC up above the minimum of my target, currently 5-9, and swimmer load is pretty consistent, so FC loss/use is pretty predictable. The few times the FC has been a little below the bottom of my range I'll do powder test. I've only tested for CC three or four times the whole summer, and it's on the rare occasion that the FC goes just a little below range for a few hours. I haven't had any algae, at all, and always CC .5 or less, for a year now.

When my CYA was 40-50 range I always put 50 into the calculator to be sure there was adequate bleach addition. Even if it was actually 40 and not 50 adding for 50 doesn't take it up to shock levels. So I always adjust the Calculator CYA level on the high end of my subjective CYA testing. My CYA could possibly be a little less than 60 now but very probably not lower than 50.

I'm having to backwash a lot, due to a pretty aggressive calcium scale treatment loading up the filter, so I'm going to be testing CYA more often than usual. I'll be testing the other values more often than once a month too.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

i use the powder everytime i test. i typically test the cholorine and PH every other day depending on weather conditions and such. if something abnormal happens here in texas like rain.......i will test immediatly afterwards and make the appropriate chemical additions if necessary.
    17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.

6. Back To Top    #6

I usually do the powder and ph test daily and the others once a week, so far so good(knock on wood)
    Kurt R
    35900 gal. 20x40 Inground, Vinyl Liner with Deep End in the Middle, Roman Stairs on Both Ends
    Sta Rite Sys 3, Hayward 1.5 Super Pump, Aqua Heat Heat Pump, Paramount in Floor, BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

Can't say I've ever used the Taylor daily chlorine test, I always use the dpd powder test. As for frequency, it depends on how much the pool is used. I try to do it at least once a week in the summer, more often if we're in the pool. I've got the SWG dialed in and the PH rise is predicable, so I know about when I'll need to add acid and test at that time.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

fas-dpd...always I must be yellow shade color blind
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

In another thread I commented on the huge difference I saw between my OTO and my FAS/DPD (powder) test. The HTH OTO kit can't read above 5 TC anyway and to my eyes was consistently at 5 or just above. When I finally wised up and got the TF powder kit my FC was actually at 11. Since I have to use the HTH kit to test pH I still do check the TC daily using the OTO drops to make sure nothing looks totally out of whack, but my plan is to use the powder a couple of times a week and I test everything else (TA, CH, CYA) at least once a week.
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    1 HP Hayward Power Flow Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    fas-dpd...always I must be yellow shade color blind
    Ditto that!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com