Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size algae brush should I get?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size algae brush should I get?

I'm looking at stainless steel algae brushes. They come in a variety of sizes-- from 6.25 to 18" wide. I'm trying to get rid of some black spots (the dreaded black algae, I fear) in a 1' by 3' section in the deep, shady end of the pool. Would the smaller brush be more time consuming, but more effective?

My current #s are:
    Water temp 81
    Chlorine 13 ppm
    TA 80
    pH 7.5
    CH 300
    40,000 gallons, IG, pebble, SWCG, cartridge, in-floor cleaning system, Maryland

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size algae brush should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by stephcheff
    I'm looking at stainless steel algae brushes. They come in a variety of sizes-- from 6.25 to 18" wide. I'm trying to get rid of some black spots (the dreaded black algae, I fear) in a 1' by 3' section in the deep, shady end of the pool. Would the smaller brush be more time consuming, but more effective?

My current #s are:
    Water temp 81
    Chlorine 13 ppm
    TA 80
    pH 7.5
    CH 300
    I use both the small and the very large one. The small works better for getting up near the inside edges of the steps and bench and other close places. The large is much more productive for large sweeps of areas.

I have a bad back and a partially torn shoulder rotator cuff tendon so I have to be very careful. I use a brush booster on the big ss brush. It lessens the stress on my body going in both directions with the big brush. It turns any larger brush into a "Wall Whale" type brush.

I have a technique that seems to help my back and shoulder a whole lot. I go all the way around the pool going from tile down about 2', then go all around hitting from 2' to where the wall curves to bottom, then around again curve and several feet of bottom. Then finish up long strokes shallow end down to towards the slope to deep end towards the drain.

The brush booster creates downward force on the brush so you don't have to expend energy or strain unnecessarily keeping it in contact with the sides and bottom.

The two links below are just to show pictures. You can shop around online to find best prices.

http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/produ ... swodnj5W6Q

http://doitbest.com/Squeegees-GABco+Pro ... 807788.dib

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine